Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    Yes, buying a half or quarter cow is the best route. You pay by the pound, not by the cuts of beef. It is a lot of beef and ends up costing hundreds of dollars, but you could always find some friends or family that want to go in on it with you. Maybe email back that MB farmer and ask about how much a half or quarter cow would cost.

Hutterite farms can also be a good place to get meat, eggs, produce. There must be some close to Brandon.

Euphoric !
    Mickyc, no problem! For myself, it's not a huge concern. Can't be any worse than some of the food sold in stores lol. (I'm thinking like hot dogs, kraft dinner, deli meat, cheese whiz)

Amanda, yes there are hutterite colonies around here. Once a year I buy meat, produce and baking from one of them and other times I get various things from other colonies which my aunt picks up for me because she has 3 she deals with fairly often.

Buying farm fresh is something I want to do for taste but will still be buying store meat in addition because I am not on board with all organic nor can I afford to be! The daycare kids would be getting leftovers but I would still be feeding them (and us) store bought meat and produce.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Sorry to change the topic a bit 5LM but question for those who buy farm fresh meat. Do you feed your daycare children this meat? We bought a pig in the fall. The meat package was stamped not inspected. I was a little worried about feeding it to my daycare kids just in case so I never did (that is ok because it is expensive lol) so just wondering if that is a concern for others?
    Yes, I do. Organic meals is one of the reasons families are willing to pay more for my services. I charge more than other home daycares in my area.

My son and I are not meat lovers (my hubby is) so I don't serve meat everyday. I also serve fulfilling vegetarian meals and seafood. Today we had salmon grilled cheese and veggie chips for lunch. Yesterday was creamy beets soup and mushroom quesadillas, Tuesday was meatloaf, brown rice and cucumber. I'd say we have meats once to 3 times per week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    There is a difference though between organic meat that is inspected and from an inspected processing plant and farm fresh meat that is not inspected. When you say organic do you mean inspected organic or not inspected organic?

I love the taste of farm fresh meat but didn't know if there was some sort of liability issue in feeding children uninspected meats?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Organic foods (meat and everything else) under strict testing to be certified as such. Livestock must be fed a specific diet that does not include GMO foods and be antibiotic and hormone free. There are many farmers that are organic, but not yet certified due to the cost involved. I know the government is very strict over qualifications to be certified organic. I recommend talking to the farmer themselves and visiting the farm if within driving distance. It makes a big difference IMO Truly it needs to be a gut trust if you go inspected vs uninspected

Outgoing
    I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I have it in my policy that most of our food is locally sourced and organic when possible. To be honest, my beef comes right from my father's farm. In the thirty-ish years I've been eating it, we've never had any problems. And it seems like there's a recall every month from grocery stores.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh I completely agree superfun that it is likely safer than most a person buys at the store. I was just worried that "IF" something was to happen and a child got sick because of un-inspected meat I didn't want to be sued. I know I am likely just being too paranoid lol. Actually all this talk about it I took out my last pack of ground pork for supper! yum yum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think if you have it stated or the parents are aware of the meat (or any food for that matter) that you feed the dck's, than there really isn't much they can do. It's a risk they take when they choose to have someone else care for their child and they don't provide the food. A child could get sick or food poisoning from lots of things we make for them! There is so much food being recalled these days that the risk of "bad food" is quite high when you are trusting someone else to feed your child.

I guess a parent could sue over a lot of things but I just don't know how often they would/do win?