Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

3 healthy/excercise questions

if you make smoothies, how do you make them (looking for fruit ones)

and if you use protien powder what kind do you use and where do you buy it from. there is way too many to choose from I have no idea where to start.

and if you do on line exercise video's which ones do you use.

Euphoric !
    personally I stay away from protein powder! my stepmom works at the hospital and told me that there are a lot of problems with people who take protein powder as they usually take too much and it causes issues. Food should be taken in food form not from a powder.

If you are on pinterest there are tons of smoothie ideas. I usually just put yogurt (not zero fat kind as aspartame is not good either), some sort of fruit - any combination of these: banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, oranges, pineapple, then I add low fat milk, crushed iced and blend. Don't be afraid to throw in some Kale. My favorite is 1 banana, 1sp of cocoa powder, 1 heaping spoon of peanut butter, milk and ice! works great at curbing my chocolate cravings!

As for exercise - well lets just say is all I have been able to do is consistently juice or make smoothies. I haven't been able to add the exercise part into my routine yet! Maybe once the weather is nice.
    Last edited by mickyc; 04-24-2014 at 11:22 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    My favourite smoothies:
    equal amounts orange juice and plain yogurt (about 1 c each)
    1 banana
    handful of frozen strawberries

This makes enough for 3.

3/4 c apple juice
    1/2 c plain yogurt
    1 banana
    3/4 c fr. blueberries
    1 1/2 c fr strawberries

Makes enough for 2 or one really large.

My current favourite:
    1 c orange juice
    2 bananas
    2 leaves (stalks?) of kale

Protein powder: don't use it and heard the same things as above

On line videos: don't have any suggestions. Sorry!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also wanted to add that juicing is wonderful! I really love orange/carrot juice. There is such a huge difference between real fresh juice and juice you buy in the store. There is an amazing amount of sugar in juice and that is why I very rarely make smoothies with juice.

If you have Netflix there is a show called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. That is what started us on the juicing. I have lost 20lbs since the end of January. We have been lazy though lately and need to watch it again to get our motivation back. I started adding smoothies to my plan just to give me something that was quicker to make for lunches. So usually I juice the night before for my breakfast and then make a smoothie for lunch and then cook a balanced meal for supper. We tried cutting down on carbs because we seem to consume a great deal of them. I added more fruits and vegies to our diet (we barely ate vegies)! I have PCOS and don't get my period at all. Since January I have had it 2 times! Now if only the easter candy wasn't in the house because my willpower for chocolate is zero!
    Last edited by mickyc; 04-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Not all protein powders are created equally. Your best bet is to get your info from a nutritionist either in person or online. They are the people actually trained in this kind of thing. Any good health food store will have someone on hand with the info you need too.

Also another huge factor is that smoothies can quite easily be unhealthy as people have a tendency to plug them full of dairy so they are high fat, high sugar and high calorie.

Making a healthy and tasty smoothie does not require dairy at all. This will also ensure that it doesn't become bad for you. My daughter has a smoothie everyday and it was important to me that I research what was best for her. The only dairy she has is kefir and just 2 table spoons per load which typically makes about 2 pints at least. That way she is getting "good quality" probiotics and as she doesn't have a dairy sensitivity it's no issue for her to have and save supplementation. We use Vega one protein powder which is a complete powder including greens. It is vegan, gluten free and gmo free which is what was important to us. Hemp protein powder is the one that was also highly recommend to me by a RHPN last night at a class she did as it is full of amazing amino acids and is easy to digest. It really depends what you are looking for.

If you like your smoothies creamy then add half an avocado which will have the same effect as dairy but without all the badness of it and with a healthy fat in its place. Also add your omega fatty acids to your smoothie...flax, and fish oil..there are lots to choose from so what you need to look for is the highest EPA and a low omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. Any good health food store should have someone on hand to explain this to you.

My daughters go to smoothie recipe is as follows...nothing is measured unless stated

frozen strawberries
    half a banana
    cacoa powder or nibs
    omega oil ... amount as stated on label
    coconut water
    tsp local raw honey
    whatever veggies she is brave enough to throw in too
    scoop of protein powder

she adds the honey because a tsp of local honey daily prevents seasonal allergies and sweetens at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I also wanted to add that juicing is wonderful! I really love orange/carrot juice. There is such a huge difference between real fresh juice and juice you buy in the store. There is an amazing amount of sugar in juice and that is why I very rarely make smoothies with juice.

If you have Netflix there is a show called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. That is what started us on the juicing. I have lost 20lbs since the end of January. We have been lazy though lately and need to watch it again to get our motivation back. I started adding smoothies to my plan just to give me something that was quicker to make for lunches. So usually I juice the night before for my breakfast and then make a smoothie for lunch and then cook a balanced meal for supper. We tried cutting down on carbs because we seem to consume a great deal of them. I added more fruits and vegies to our diet (we barely ate vegies)! I have PCOS and don't get my period at all. Since January I have had it 2 times! Now if only the easter candy wasn't in the house because my willpower for chocolate is zero!
    So glad to hear that the juicing and smoothies have helped with your PCOS. That's fantastic news!

Well, just to add some info about the powders....

My son is a competitive paddler and they had a nutrition talk.... by a nutritionist... who told them that there was NO need for them to use the protein powders. You don't need them.

So... food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nschildcare View Post
    Well, just to add some info about the powders....

My son is a competitive paddler and they had a nutrition talk.... by a nutritionist... who told them that there was NO need for them to use the protein powders. You don't need them.

So... food for thought.
    As stated in another thread, for every person who says yes there is another who says no. No two people are alike and one persons needs may be different to anothers. By rights, we don't need any supplementation as we should be able to get it from our food sources, but our bodies do not run as efficiently as they should, our foods are nutrient deficient and some people are not able to produce certain things or process things without some help along the way. Each to there own, but to say nobody needs protein powders is just not correct. They have helped many people become healthier and get their vitamins, minerals and other nutrients when otherwise they may not be able to. The correct statement should be that they are not for everyone and they are not created equally.

Outgoing
    thanks guys. I know lots of people who use protien powder so thats what I was wondering. We eat alot of fruit and veggies here (ever hear of children who love green beans so much that I have half a garden full of them lol) but the people I know who use them use them for weighloss thats why.

I agree that adding things to smoothies is fine as long as its a balance of things. But I'm wondering if people are depending more on protien powder than anything else. This is why I'm asking. I have a dcm who is going to the gym and was put on a meal plan and she has to drink smoothies with protien powder all the time, I just can't see my life revolving around protien powder.

bs, what does wheat germ do, would you put it in a smoothie. I've seen it sold in stores thats why I'm wondering.

I do agree with the above. I read the op's question as a 'should I add powder or not'. Hence my response.

OP, you should check with a professional if you feel like you need (or want) to be adding something.

And keep in mind that your dcm was put on a plan that was made for her specifically, keeping in mind her nutritional requirements and physical output.
    Last edited by nschildcare; 04-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.