Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So, are you still babysitting?

Good morning ladies! I will be going to a bridal shower soon which involves lots of in-law relatives who I haven't seen or spoken to in a long while.
    I always get asked when I do see them the question in the title. I can't seem to come up with an answer that does not convey my annoyance at being called a babysitter when I have described in the past my program and activities we do.

So, I was wondering if you ladies have any suggestions on how you might answer this question with out seeming perturbed or defensive.

Thanks, the babysitter

Starting to feel at home...
    "Nope. I've been promoted. I'm now a small business owner providing quality child care services to my community." (Ok, that might come off a bit saucy but it's what I'd be thinking. )

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    just reply "yes I am still running my own home daycare". if they want to call that babysitting then so be it.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You could say "I haven't babysat since I was a teenager but yes I am still running my home daycare"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I agree with Mickyc. Unless they say it purposely trying to offend you don't let it bother you! You know what you do.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Thank you ladies, the SIL's are a judgmental group so when I hear the question from them it makes me feel defensive which makes me mad at myself as I am very proud of my daycare and don't like my industry and colleagues called babysitters.
    Daisy, I especially like "I've been promoted" and I think I will use that with a big smile.

Outgoing
    I have the same problem, a baby shower in 2 weeks, and I'm already dreading it...keep the suggestions coming!

Shy
    I would probably reply with just a "Yep" and then either walk away and talk to someone else, go grab a quick snack or use the bathroom and take a quick deep breath. Ignorance is bliss! I have a neighbour that asks me that every time they see me which is multiple times per week and I answer with "yep" and then turn away or keep on walking. I don't care that they understand the difference and don't care to try and explain to them the difference either.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DCMG For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    "Oh gosh no, I haven't babysat since I was 15 yrs old. I run a home daycare if that's what you mean"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If they were saying it to be rude or condescending, I would set them straight. Politely of course lol

If they mean nothing by it, I answer their question but make a point to say "yes, I'm still running my own daycare" and would share the difference if they were interested to hear.

I think our career is still looked at by a lot of people who don't "get it" and don't understand the importance of our roles in child development. Anytime I can help inform them of this, I do. I think we all should if we want to be looked at with respect and be taken seriously.

PS. Happy ECE week!!! ( I think it's the same week everywhere?)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: