Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Diversity?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    The problem with racial stereotypes and racism is that it is everywhere and all around you. It is on TV, in books, portrayed in toys, and comes from people in the community as well. While bullying is very hurtful and can certainly have lasting effects on anyone who has been victim to it, it really is not the same thing. Racism is systemic. Racial identity begins very very early. My son has said many things at the age of 4-5 years old about race...generalizatio ns that he has made from what he has seen in his world. When he comes home talking about how people in Africa are starving and drinking dirty water (his teacher said so), it has a huge effect on his sense of identity as a child of African heritage. It is not that these things are untrue, but how often do they talk in school about positive things related to Africa or Africans? How often do the kids come home talking about the big modern cities in Africa and the kids who go to school every day and eat good food just like them? This is what I mean by systemic...the prevailing societal image of black people is overwhelmingly negative...whether it be poverty, gun violence, etc. Kids internalize this very early on and it is so important to fill them with pride and confidence in who they are from a young age. I know I have gone a bit off on a tangent from the OP's question about diversity...but this is actually an important topic that I feel very strongly about.
    My husband's family was one of those that lived in a big city, they all went to university and his father was a prominent lawyer. Life is not great in many ways in Congo and most of his family chose to immigrate to Canada for a better life, but not everyone lives the life shown in Unicef commercials.

But I had wanted to share this article I came across, has a very interesting perspective...

http://livingformations.com/2013/08/...on-white-kids/
    Last edited by AmandaKDT; 04-25-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Euphoric !
    In my daycare, I've just chosen not to focus on race in any specific way. We all are the way we all are....that's it. I have one little boy who is Cuban/Italian and a little girl who is Chinese/Thai. The only ways we acknowledge our differences are when a child brings in something (particularly over holidays) to share with the group. I will also introduce other customs into the daycare from other cultures. We don't tend to focus on starving children, rather the things in another culture that show that we all like to celebrate. Just like families, we all have our own traditions. If it involves food, especially, it is a big hit and very well received by the kids.

I honestly didn't think the kids were really even noticing differences between their appearances, but I was wrong (except at diaper changes....a WHOLE other kettle of fish). My nephew comes here and his mum told me they were looking in a book. He saw a picture of a little Chinese boy and said 'he looks like ****' and the little Caucasian boy looked like him. And that was it....no questions....it just was. I thought it was very cute and I was happy to hear that. MUCH cuter and less embarrassing than when my daughter, at 3 yrs selected, loudly, in the crowded department store, the 'cholocolate Berbie'......wanted the earth to swallow me whole

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    In my daycare, I've just chosen not to focus on race in any specific way. We all are the way we all are....that's it. I have one little boy who is Cuban/Italian and a little girl who is Chinese/Thai. The only ways we acknowledge our differences are when a child brings in something (particularly over holidays) to share with the group. I will also introduce other customs into the daycare from other cultures. We don't tend to focus on starving children, rather the things in another culture that show that we all like to celebrate. Just like families, we all have our own traditions. If it involves food, especially, it is a big hit and very well received by the kids.

I honestly didn't think the kids were really even noticing differences between their appearances, but I was wrong (except at diaper changes....a WHOLE other kettle of fish). My nephew comes here and his mum told me they were looking in a book. He saw a picture of a little Chinese boy and said 'he looks like ****' and the little Caucasian boy looked like him. And that was it....no questions....it just was. I thought it was very cute and I was happy to hear that. MUCH cuter and less embarrassing than when my daughter, at 3 yrs selected, loudly, in the crowded department store, the 'cholocolate Berbie'......wanted the earth to swallow me whole
    You had me laughing out loud at that last part about the Barbie, too funny!

I have a bit older crew and it has come up on a regular basis about the differences in skin colour and stuff. So when it comes up I take advantage of the opportunity and talk matter of factly about how our skin is different colours and we compare. I think when young kids get exposed to it and have the opportunity to talk about it you would be surprised how much they notice.

There is a really good picture book called 'Colour of Us', that is all about describing the skin colour of different people in a little girl's neighbourhood because she realizes that when she tries to paint pictures of everyone that she can't just use one shade of beige or brown.
    Last edited by AmandaKDT; 04-25-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Expansive...
    This has turned into a great conversation. Thanks for your input ladies, you've given me lots to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    You had me laughing out loud at that last part about the Barbie, too funny!

I have a bit older crew and it has come up on a regular basis about the differences in skin colour and stuff. So when it comes up I take advantage of the opportunity and talk matter of factly about how our skin is different colours and we compare. I think when young kids get exposed to it and have the opportunity to talk about it you would be surprised how much they notice.

There is a really good picture book called 'Colour of Us', that is all about describing the skin colour of different people in a little girl's neighbourhood because she realizes that when she tries to paint pictures of everyone that she can't just use one shade of beige or brown.
    That sounds like a terrific book!

Euphoric !
    That does sound like a good book! I'm going to add that to the list. There are soooo many things I want for my daycare, but not enough money to do it all at once. I have a teacher friend who's doing her 4 over 5 next year. She and her hubby are traveling the world. I've asked if she can keep an eye out for really good toys from different regions that she could ship back to me. Not tonnes of them, but some. Then these kids can see what children in other places do for fun. I have a large wicker basket full of all the instruments (our Sharing Basket)...could totally do the same thing with little toys.

Fun&Care, there are soooo many ways to bring diversity into your daycare, even if you're a houseful of Caucasians. Planting little things all over your space and including other races in some of your themes....their traditions, etc. I would like (but haven't sorted it yet) to do 1 country/month. Not a full time focus, rather, they see where it is on a map, maybe we look some stuff up online about their clothing, lives, etc, have some of the food and maybe, if I can really get my s^%t together, throw some articles of clothing in the dress up bin. It might be nice to learn a little song or dance from some of the places. Soooo many ways