Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

What I really think.....

I have been around this forum for a very long time, and I have to say..and this is not drama seeking...That I am very intimidated to post my views on a variety of topics, as I know I will be "razed" or "taken to the cleaners for my POV." These are my feelings I am not saying I am better than any of you, I simply need to say this.

A number of you have posted that it gets you angry, when parents leave their kids with you, and they are not working....I have to say....So??? I know that you don't like when others say it, but I will anyway. Our doors are open to provide a service, and as long as policies are being followed, and you are truly not being taken for a fool what is the big deal?

When my child was with a provider, I sent my child on all open days, because the spot after all was reserved for our family use. And he loved having the time with his daycare friends, and the provider was someone he really loved....

Now that being said I certainly did not throw it in my DCP's face that this is what I was doing; but to be honest, I didn't want to "hurt her" or be told that this was wrong or be made to feel guilty. So I was not honest about the days that were not being used for non work purposes. But she could always contact someone in the event of an urgent matter, or emergency....Because Let's face it some of you have shared your opinion about this, and if she feels like any of you...I did not want to be confronted about why my child was not at home.

I respected her rules, did not arrive early etc, all the stuff I was supposed to do, so why am I being "chastised" for using my spot? (Based on some of the posts I read) Contrary to what you may think after reading this part of my post my child is very much loved, and knows that we as parents are here for him, anytime he needs us.

We did not dump our toddler his daycare and leave the kid there right until closing time. We told him what time we would be back, and kept our word almost every time, and when we were not able to be there we explained that to him as best as we could... in terms that he could understand. (not often)

Fast forward to 2014, he is now a school ager, who is confident in himself, others, and someone who understands when others need to step in...(for example in school or sports) as authority figures. He has no trouble making friends, or understanding that both his mom and dad love him...There is not a doubt in his mind. He tells me how much he loves us every day, and is well adjusted in every aspect of social and educational development.

And guess what he goes to camp, we go places without him, and he takes healthy risk his teachers are impressed about his emotional awareness, all of that...... He is well liked, and does not have the behavioral issues that some have alluded to in their forum posts, and vents....

I do not expect parents to give me a day off, if their family are the only ones in care today, I make the best of it. I have taken a "lone dck" shopping, to movies etc, and parents know that the routine is more relaxed if they are the only one in attendance. I have had parents elect that their child stay with them if everyone else is absent, but it is not an expectation. I am not at all offended that children are attached to me, it shows that I am doing my job, and that these children can show healthy emotions to those who help them in the early years of their childhood.

On the other hand if a parent is not respecting my policies, and is consistently abusing the privilege of their space that I have issue with, and it is only a matter of time before they are terminated regardless of how they elect to "use the child care space."

It is not my job to police parenting or judge, as there comes a time in everyone's life, where they will face something and just need someone to be there without bias or judgment. Do I have opinions about my daycare families?.... yes, but for the most part they know what those are and I am open enough to tell them how I feel.....(unless it is pointless to share)

You may ask if this leads to "resentment" no....Really it doesn't, in fact these parents trust me enough to leave the child with me overnight, during an adult only vacation, or when they are ill... (the parent) The type of relationship I have with my clients is one of trust, and that is what I value most..... (I also not provide any of my services for free, and am paid fairly for what I do)

It makes me feel sad that I cannot post this under my real name, because of bullies who will tell me that I am out of my gourd for doing extra, or that I am a unicorn provider with rainbows coming out of my butt....

I am just a realistic person, I mean really, its what works for me... and I should not be made to feel that I suck because I have these opinions, I am rather just someone who does her best. Her best to leave her judgy pants off, (in regards to parenting style, etc) while finding a great balance between identity, marriage and family.
    Last edited by myrealthoughts; 04-25-2014 at 06:26 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myrealthoughts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am sorry to hear that you are scared to post! Even though I don't always agree with what people say (online and in person!), I hope I never come across as intimidating and make people scared to tell me their honest opinions!! It is always okay to disagree with someone's POV but it's not okay to make them feel ashamed or guilty of it or that they have to hide their true opinions.

I think you sound like a great parent and have raised a great kid

In regard to this specific issue....I have had plenty of parents take the day off and still send their child. As long as they aren't here past closing time, it's really not a big deal in the big picture. I have never had a family take holidays and not take their child though so I can't comment on that. Even though I may complain about how some families do things, I do logically know that it's not up to me and how they parent their child is their decision. I may vent from time to time to a friend or my fiance but I can honestly say that I love my job and spend more time talking about that than I do complaining.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Great post MyRealThoughs and I stated early on in the thread that went wild that I understand that parents feel that if they are paying for their space (and they are paying full fees no matter what) that they can use the space and take a day off for themselves for whatever reason. It happens all the time. All I ask is to know how to reach them in case of an emergency and I appreciate it when they use a short day, 7 or 8 hours, not 9, no problem.

You definitely put your finger on the problem on this site and I may get flamed for saying it out loud too, but bullying happens here. It's the reason I don't post any more and have taken a long break. Admin needs to take a long hard look at the way this site is run and soon!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ha ha...we're all anonymous here! I think that is what makes people meaner than they would be in real life!! Don't worry about it. Seriously....you don't need to care what a faceless username thinks of you!

I don't post that often but have no problem sharing my opinions....and I am usually the one saying "who gives a furry rats bum" ha ha!! I don't bitch about my clients because I honestly
    don't care what they do with their lives. I am way too old for that nonsense.

This can be a lonely, boring job sometimes. I think this leads to people stirring shite so they have something to amuse them. They can because it ALWAYS works.

We all know that no one should feel this way about a forum, but the truth is some do, and nothing is really done to stop the non sense...Some just post under a new name, and others you're right are crap disturbers......

But why is it that there seems to be such nepotism, I mean really...I have been called out for moaning and told to grow a pair, while others can moan without consequence and are told its ok and that people are here for them....? I can see that there are favorites here, and daycare space opinions aside, that's what I think.

Expansive...
    I think the thing about this post is we do get to voice our opinions !! There are those that disagree and are forward in how they present their opinions but who cares ? I like to read and see the different way people see and view issues ! I like the experience that is presented in this forum ! I feel bad that you do not reveal who you are ! I know what you are saying about the issue of parents dropping off and having a free day , I read that post ( can't remember if I posted) and remember disagreeing but understanding !! A day off is a nice surprise !! The responses were varied and opinionated !! I strive to become a unicorn provider !!! Lol
    I hope you feel friendship and non judgement from me ! I also feel too old to think I am right or have the answers to life's problems !!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you for your post and please be assured that there will always be someone else who shares your viewpoints. (Even if quietly from the safety of their own home. LOL.) I too have no problem with a parent leaving a child while they aren't at work. I know that all of my little ones are loved and well cared for. I see the proof everyday. In fact-maybe I'm the odd one here but I'll say it anyways- lots of my kids are/ have been part time with stay at home moms. They come to me to learn to be social, to get used to other adults and so that they are prepared for school. Not only that but if they miss a day that they've paid for (get ready for it) I allow them to make up that day if I have another available space open during the week.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't know if I'll be able to get my point across very well, but I'll try. I didn't realize there was anyone picking sides, or making anyone feel like their opinion is wrong. However, now that I know there are people who aren't comfortable sharing the way they run their daycare, I am truly wishing they will start to share. I feel myself, and probably many others, would benefit from hearing all these other opinions.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I thought the anonymous poster worded that beautifully and echoed my own sentiments on the subject.

I have nothing more to say on that matter; she nailed it. I believe we're on the same page

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Shy
    It's not that I care about it as much as I do not want anything to get out of hand, or judged.

Too, I am someone who is here for my daycare families; but that does not mean I allow my business to take over my life.

I am well rested, book vacation etc.

I know that some who post against doing extra or about daycare spaces have different thoughts than I do, and that's okay, but your way isn't my way and that's what makes us all independent business, yes?