Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Daycare child frequently sick

I have a dck who is frequently sick. Like at least once a month, no joke, she has a very weak immune system. I feel bad for the parents, no one likes a sick kid. Unfortunately it causes her to miss a lot of daycare. The mom takes her to the doctor if she needs medications (ie due to an ear infection, she is prone to- she's had 3 this fall/winter) Right now she is a part timer (due to mom's mat leave) and many times she has skipped a week at a time. When she comes back to daycare, she makes strange and cries and says she wants her mommy etc, despite me caring for her for almost 2 yrs. she is usually easy to calm though. Anyone else have a frequently sick dc child? Do they miss a lot of daycare? How do you handle that? Ever thought of terminating the contract for a full timer? While I sympathize with the parents of the sick child, I am conflicted with my feelings too. I feel bad that I feel this way but I have to look out for myself here too. I have had a reduced income since last summer but knowing that she will be returning with the baby in the fall and they will be full time is the reason why I have kept her on up until now. unless something changes. Any one else been in this situation?

Euphoric !
    Well if keeping her means you get two full timers in the fall then why not keep her unless there is a huge demand for care in your area ..... I am assuming you get paid for sick days so if she's not there then so what ... If your not getting paid then I would understand why you are frustrated and its time to change the contract and start charging.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    if she is getting alot of ear infections I bet you its from milk. Don't know why, but milk seems to be a culprit for it. I've had kids who decreased the amount they would drink and amazingly the ear infections also went away.

also, is she sick or is it allergies. Do they have pets, maybe mold or do they change their furnace filter. I have had some kids who are sick and its because the filters have been so clogged. Also is she getting enough sleep and eating good too.

its hard when they are part time, but if you can fill with full time I would. Also, if she is sick all the time are the parents taking the time off, I'm wondering if they are shopping around for another daycare.

Euphoric !
    Is the child on a soother or bottle? that could contribute to ear infections. Also usually after that many they should be sent to see if tubes in the ears would work. My daughter had tubes in her ears and it was wonderful. Would recommend it to anyone who has kids with constant ear infections.

Are you getting paid for the time the child is away sick? If not then you need to change your contract so that you are. If a family is away sick and I am still getting paid then there is no big deal as I am getting paid regardless.

I personally would never get rid of a family just because something better came along. There would have to be a really good reason to terminate (child not transitioning, aggressive behaviour, non-payment etc). If I commit to a part-time schedule with a child that is my doing, I would never get rid of them for a full-time family unless that is in your contract. I don't like when families do that to me so I would never do that to anyone else. I say if you committed to them and their schedule then you should stick with it.

Outgoing
    I honestly don't know if looking for other daycare, but I don't think so. They have asked me to care for both kids in the fall when mom's mat leave is over (plus she isat home anyhow). They haven't given me any reason to believe that they are 'shopping around'. Who knows, I could be totally wrong though.

In terms of milk, she doesn't get any at my house and mom says she only has some before bed. They dont have pets and from what I have seem, the house seems clean, not sure about the furnace filter, but I could suggest it. Up until now, she hasn't been diagnosed with allergies. Do allergies cause ear infections? Not sure if it's allergies though, because her illnesses are all over the place, like stomach bugs, colds, ear infections, etc. interns if sleep, I don't know really how much sleep she gets. Mom claims she has never been a good sleeper and still wakes at night at 3 yrs old. Mom still struggles to get her to fall asleep and stay asleep so their doctor has recommended they remove her nap so she will sleep better at night. They do not want her to nap at my house (against my policy but has fallen asleep on my couch a few times. After the initial transition period, I never had a problem getting her to eat, sleep etc. they say she sleeps form 8pm to 8 am but I know thats not necessarily always the case because she doesn't come to my house until 10am because 'she just got up a while ago'. When she comes back to my house full time I will be reinforcing the rest period for one hour minimum because if the kid will be up before 7 to be at my house for 8, I know she will need a nap. That's how she is at my house.

Outgoing
    @mickeyc-- And I agree with you, believe me, but knowing that I can replace with a full timer and gain tht much income is what gets me. I know it's terrible to think that way but sometimes its necessary financially though. I do have a clause in my contract that if a need for a full time space comes along, I have the right to terminate a part time for a full time. I have never done that to anyone though and my hubby doesn't think I should do that, and I really don't want to offend the family because with will be full time with 2 kids in the fall.

Starting to feel at home...
    Allergies can definitely cause cold/flu like symptoms. When a child is constantly sick that's a cause to consider anyways. I agree with momofnerds that dairy can cause ear infections. My dcd was constantly getting them- they'd get worse with teething but they cleared up when she was taken off cow milk.

Outgoing
    sounds like she needs sleep. Its amazing how much a nap makes children feel so much better. Do you talk to the dad, sometimes he can give you another voice at what is happening at home.

also, does she put things in her mouth. Like toys and such. I think more is going on at home than they are telling you, poor diet and poor sleep equals sick kid.

Euphoric !
    If they don't pay for sick days, could some of the time away being fake sick days?

Expansive...
    Just want to throw in the info my doctor told me - a young child can get up to 8 ear infections in a year and still be in "normal" range.

My older daughter was getting constant ear infections her first year of daycare (when I sent her to one, not when I was doing it myself). She also got a horrible asthmatic cough every time she got a cold. She also slept horribly at night until she was around 3 years old. What you are describing sounds like how my daughter used to be. She has been on a limited dairy diet for a long time now and she is rarely sick and now sleeps soundly at night. But I can't say for sure whether it is just because she grew out of it or because of the change in diet.