Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Help for child waking up 20 minutes into napping

Hi
    Any suggestions on what to do with a 13 month old that cries for about 5 or so minutes when going down for a nap, then drifts off, only to wake up again about 20-30 minutes into his nap just screaming, yet he's still tired (eyes rolling back, head bobbing) He wakes up every day about the same time into his nap. His mom said he'll sometimes do this at home and he'll cry for about 10-15 minutes then go back to sleep, for me, he just screams so loud he's waking up everyone else. It's the only nap he gets all day so just trying to figure out how to settle him so he sleeps even for an hour. I think we all need that kind of break during our day and the other dck sleep for 2 - 3 hours so having this one up screaming is no good

Expansive...
    I would put him in a separate room with a sound machine, say goodnight, close the door and don't come back in to shush him, pick him up, nothing. I've had more than one dck wake up 30-40 mins into their nap and if I start going in even just to shush or say go to sleep, they quickly get used to this interaction even if it is minimal and will wake up every time a sleep cycle ends (about every 40 minutes) and NEED that interaction to go back to sleep. Of course you should check on him just don't let him see you. He might really scream at first when you don't come but give it a few days and I promise you should see improvement. I know issues like this are frustrating...good luck!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Put him in a different room in you can and let him cry! I have started just leaving the kids in their playpens for the full 2 hours regardless of them sleeping or being awake. I have 2 that are not great sleepers so I put them in the same room together. I also have a fan going on full blast in both nap rooms.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yep, exactly what Fun&Care and mickyc said - let him cry it out! He doesn't know how to self-soothe after a sleep cycle and he needs to figure that out on his own. The other option is for you to go in every 5 minutes that he is awake to assure him that you are present, do not pick him up or even talk to him but gently lie him down, give him a quick hug and walk out of the room. you can extend this to every 10 minutes, then every 15 minutes, etc. in order to reassure him that he is not alone but to reinforce that it is time for sleeping. Babies and toddlers need to nap for their physical, intellectual and developmental needs. It will be a tough couple of weeks but remain consistent and it will work out!

Shy
    I agree with a room as far away as possible and white noise and leave him be. He clearly needs to learn how to sleep.

Euphoric !
    Put him in a room by himself with a fan outside the door and if you have an extra one put one in the room as well and walk away and don't go back in till nap time is over

Expansive...
    I agree with what everyone else has said too !! I have a 22 month old who does this very same thing!! I have always just let her cry back to sleep but recently she has learnt a new trick !! She makes herself throw up !! Ugh and gross !!!
    Not exactly sure how I will handle that one ! Yesterday I kept going in , without speaking and laying her back down . I must of done it 20 times before she relented and laid down !! She didn't throw up so I'm hoping it will pass !!

Euphoric !
    In theory, I totally believe in letting them CIO. In reality.......there is no way I could just leave a child in their playpen crying, screaming, throwing a fit and possibly throwing up for 2 hours.

Right now, I have one child who poops almost every day an hour or less into his nap. I change him and put him back in his playpen and he thankfully stays there quietly until naptime is over.

However, I am transitioning 2 new kids(they both started last week) and they have horrible napping habits!! One is used to having someone in the room until he falls asleep and one is used to having a bottle in his crib. I have decided to cut these habits cold turkey at daycare but it is easier said than done!! I feel for you so much!!

I will let them cry for 30-45 minutes but unfortunately, any longer than that and they either throw/spit up or they wake my other 2. So if they are still going on after 45 minutes, I will go into the room and they fall asleep within 5 minutes (which is sooo maddening,they are soo exhausted and I wish they would do this without me). Yesterday and today they fell asleep within 20 or so minutes but today one woke up 45 mins into nap and woke the other up and than the both SCREAM CRIED so I went down and sat in the room until one fall asleep again and the other one quieted down enough to allow the others to sleep.

I have a sound machine in their room and I play spa music on the tv for the other 2 who can hear it from their napping area. The sound machine doesn't even drown them out in the least! lol. It doesn't help that the bottle one is 3x a week and mom is not interested in weaning that yet. Ugh.....Friday yet?!?!

I wish you luck and hope you find something that works!