Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Which would you choose...

A 12month old who during transitioning and arrives calm, sleeps no problem, eats well but CRIES at the drop of a pin, if I move, if a kid moves, if I have to change other diapers etc., instant never ending wailing.

Or...

A 12month old that transitions in and is perfectly calm all day but does not sleep and cries the whole nap time?

Just curious. I ask as my newest 12month old sits at my feet (finally calm) and all my other toddlers are off happily playing. I don't dare move from this spot in the daycare because ALL IS CALM.

Most of my other kids (13-17months) all started off as CRAPPY sleepers (AP families) they were calm most the day, but needed so much work to get a good sleep routine going. This child is the opposite and as much as this one is transitioning perfectly normally and actually fairly easily as I am seeing improvements already. But, man I am not used to not being able to move about the room freely! And, as it always goes this child has the ear piercing scream.

If you could choose which would you take?

Both sound like dream kids But if I had to chose, I would chose the 12 month old that is calm and transitioning well during the program, but cries during naptime. Why? Cause I would move that 12 month old into their own sleeping area or put on some white noise (fan, etc.) and invest in some good quality earplugs. Yup. The 12 month old that does not allow you to move for fear of a meltdown would be much, much worse in my opinion. Bad sleepers can be dealt with, but not being able to carry on with your routine and caring for the other children in your care would be much, much worse.

Good luck. I'm going to be transitioning a 18 month old and 12 month old in the next few weeks, so I may be in the same boat

Shy
    I'd take the one that sleeps. In my experience, sleep issues are the hardest to deal with.

The other issue seems "fixable" as the child ages and becomes more secure and comfortable in their surroundings.

I just have a hard time with non-sleepers as that behavior seems to have the biggest impact on the other kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackcat3168 For This Useful Post:

I would take the sleeper as well as it sounds like the neediness is just a time matter of getting adjusted to you and feeling secure. Sleep issues are really disruptive to the whole crew and YOU!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    That's a tough one, let us know what you decide.

Expansive...
    I've had both and I prefer the crappy sleeper. Mostly because I put them in their own room, shut the door and it's up to them to decide to either scream or sleep. I've had those 12 month olds who would not let me move also and it's the worse. You can't get away from the screaming or if you try to, the screaming/ meltdown gets worse! I think sleep is a much easier fix than neediness/ clingyness, although in the end it does depend on the individual child and their personality so it's not always quite black and white.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Are you asking because you feel you need to get rid of one? I wonder about just waiting and seeing as having 2 start at the same time is hell to begin with as they feed off each other but give them time ti adjust.

I would vote for the crappy sleeper...easily fixed. However I agree with the other ladies that the crying all day kid will come around I'm sure shortly.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Are you asking because you feel you need to get rid of one? I wonder about just waiting and seeing as having 2 start at the same time is hell to begin with as they feed off each other but give them time ti adjust.

I would vote for the crappy sleeper...easily fixed. However I agree with the other ladies that the crying all day kid will come around I'm sure shortly.
    No not at all!! Just asking for the sake of asking! My others all started and are settled in already. I started them all at least 3-4 weeks apart (opened in Jan). My kids are all great. All the crappy nappers are now excellent nappers. They are all laid back and easy going kids. This new one is only on day 3 and frankly is doing great. The child is just adjusting differently than my others did and I was curious what others preferences are!

I suspect I will always prefer the opposite of what I am currently transitioning as everything seems better after the fact.

This little one does instantly calm when held. Which makes things so much easier as I read on here many caregivers have a child that just screams all day whether held, or not. I don't hold him all day and often just tune his crying out and go about our day...but it is nice to be able to pick him up when the other parents come for pick up so he's not sitting there wailing away while I chat with them. It's just a matter of time. But this time goes by in slowwww motion.

It does mess up our day and it sucks though. My other 4 LOVE story time we sit and read for 20minutes a day all cuddled up...but this new one just SCREAMS through it because the kids are all close (and if I put the child farther away then the child screams because I am not close). I don't want to skip storytime because it is loved so much but it really isn't the same with the screaming! Hopefully just a matter of a few days to get it all figured out and get settled in and calm will return!

Starting to feel at home...
    I would prefer the calm and happy non sleeper as well. I currently have a screamer that sleeps wonderfully and it's getting to me. She's been here almost 2 months and still screams for everything. It's a no brainer for me. Good luck!

Outgoing
    See, now I would take the sleeper as well. I can deal with the day crying, but it grates my nerves to no end to have a cruddy sleeper.