Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Kid- friendly vegetarian meals

Hi everyone,

So as of late I am finding I have a very difficult time eating meat. For whatever reason, it just smells/ tastes awful even though I have been eating meat all my life with generally few complaints. I don't think I want to go all-out vegetarian or vegan, but I would like to have a few recipes on hand for those days when I just can't tolerate meat. So far we have black bean and quinoa soup, lentil tacos, tofu stir fry and tonight we are having falafel wraps. Yum

I was wondering if you wonderful ladies have any yummy vegetarian recipes to share that are kid- friendly especially? (Dairy is ok) Especially comfort foods or foods with good protein replacement like beans etc.

Thanks!

Outgoing
    How about a vegetarian chili!

Outgoing

Expansive...
    Thanks! Will have to try chili for sure! Forgot to ask in my original post if any of you also have recommendations for protein powder? I want a good quality one with little/ artificial stuff in it. For those times when I take a bite out of my hamburger, decide I'm not into it I can whip up a protein shake instead of just eating hamburger buns lol!

Outgoing
    The protein powder I use is Kaizen natural isolate...it's a whey protein, no artificial ingredients, no GMOs, and it's glutten and lactose free.

Shy
    I have kids with me right now who are sensitive to pork and beef. They eat a lot of vegetarian meals. Here is one I have tried recently, with great success.

1 can stewed tomatoes with seasonings (something designed to go into a chili or that sort of thing)
    1 can of rinsed black beans

Fry both cans and add a little cummin for extra flavour (1/4 tsp?)
    Cook some brown rice in a rice cooker.

Serve tomato/bean mixture on top of rice (or in separate bowls for my picky eater)

I was really surprised that even my veggie haters really enjoyed these flavours!

Euphoric !
    I did vegetarian and some vegan for about a year as I had one child sensitive to dairy, eggs, most meats (and gluten for extra fun) and another who was octo-lacto veg. Some of the favs were:

*Homemade mac and cheese (made it with sharp cheddar and a little blue cheese...mmmm) with cut up tofu hot dogs.

*Mediterranean Quinoa - 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water, 1 cube basil/oregano bouillon cube. To cooked quinoa add chopped green onion, chopped kalamata olives, chopped tomato, chopped green pepper, chopped fresh basil and crumbled feta. YUM!!! That's a big favourite here! Can serve warm or cold. I like it with a bit of tzatziki in it too.

*Swedish Pancakes - Beat 3 eggs till thick and lemon coloured. Add 1 1/4 cups milk, 3/4 cup flour, 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp vanilla. Beat till smooth and cook on hot, greased skillet. Very runny so can really only do one at a time. Really, really good and high in protein. Throw some fruit on top (pineapple and bananas are my favourite) and a little syrup or honey and enjoy. I make 2 batches to feed 2 teen boys and 5 daycare children.

*Beetroot Risotto - cut beets into small cubes, toss in olive oil and roast in oven till soft. Heat couple tbsp olive oil in heavy skillet and prepare some vegetable broth (not sure how much as I just wing it...risotto's dead easy!). Pour some Arborio rice into skillet and toss with oil over med/high heat till it's all coated. Keep it moving over the heat until the rice looks more white (it just looks different and you'll see the change). Then add 1/4 cup broth, keep moving everything around until liquid is absorbed. Add 1/4 cup white wine (I used the wine people have given me that I don't like...good way to get rid of it without getting caught regifting). Keep moving till liquid is absorbed. Keep doing this till rice is desired tenderness. Remove from heat and add roasted beets and some shredded parmesan. Super easy and very good!

*Impossible Quiche - Add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 1/4 cups milk, 3/4 cup Bisquick to blender. Blend it all up and pour into 10" pie plate. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese and push cheese below surface with back of spoon. Sprinkle with desired veggie toppings and push those below surface too. Bake at 350F (300F for convection) for about 45 mins or till set. I like to use sharp cheddar then spruce it up with a little blue cheese. A really, really nice one I made was with chopped, overfried mushrooms (cook them till very dark and dryish) done in butter and some carmelized onions. So very good!

Maybe there's something in there you can use
    Last edited by cfred; 06-12-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Gumbo is my crews fave and it couldn't be easier to make and wing it...rice, beans, whatever veggies you have handy some pomedora/marinara, Chilli seasoning and that's about it.....they wolf it down