Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Toddler won't eat

Hi there, I am having an issue with a toddler that is refusing to eat. She came to me as a picky eater, as described by mom.

The first month of being in my care she went from being picky to eating almost everything I gave her. This past couple of weeks she has regressed.

She eats breakfast no problem. She turns her nose up to lunch. I even tried feeding her wondering if it is laziness. She won't even try it. If I just leave the bowl in front of her she will play with the food & smash it onto the table.

I have started saving the meal and warming it for her during snack. I don't want her to think she can turn her nose up to lunch & still get to have desserts or snack. She still refuses to eat.

I was always told by my paediatrician that children won't starve themselves but I am getting slightly worried. Mom & Dad say she is eating at dinner no problem.

I am pretty sure that this is a control issue. She doesn't have control of much but she can control when and what she eats.

I refuse to make meals to her demand. I don't want the other kids to mimic this behaviour.

Any ideas?

Shy
    I am dealing with the same thing here. She ate super the first week, second week she stuffed EVERY Bite into her mouth, and the third week she wouldn't swallow a small mouthful, she would hold it under her tongue! Lol. I just kept persisting, and the other kids knew they would have consequences if they tried that nonsense ha ha. It's been a month now and she eats way better. I have learned that certain textures make her vomit (like baked apples, or canned fruit) and I give her other options when I serve those. Otherwise, I am very firm with her and it has paid off. Keep it up, she will come around!! I hope your hard work pays off soon

i advice to keep it cool for a bit longer and pretend nothing its happening. She might be spoiling herself. Try not paying much attention to her during lunch and don't give her lunch food at snacks, she is probably going to get hungry and start eating soon

Euphoric !
    I find all picky eaters eat well at home. Did you ask for specific foods they ate? Is it in a pouch/puree form? Was it sugar coated? In front of the tv...flown into their moves with airplane noises by a mommy standing on her head singing songs?

Some kids really are just picky...but usually it is habit and parents, being loving and concerned, cater.

Prime the wheel by havign one 'safe' food on the plate (something you know she likes)...often picky eaters will eat more after there is something in their belly taking off the hunger pains.

I personalyl wouldn't reserve lunch at snack time. I get why you are doign that but toddlers (assumeing she is under 2ish) just won't have the understanding a to why it is being reserved...they can't connect those dots and learn the lesson. I'd just offer what otehrs are eating, give no praise if she eats, give no shame if she doesn't. Just go about the meal like all is well. Take the control away from her by just doing what you do with the others. You control the food served she controls what she eats.

If she smooshes or throws, simply take the food away without looking at her, without speakign to her and continue on like nothing happened. Leave her to sit and watch the others. If she fusses just go about the meal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I totally agree with Lee-Bee. Don't make it an issue for you, and certainly dont cater to it. I serve lunch, they can eat it if they want, if they don't, I don't care. I plan healthy lunch, I alot a serving. If they only eat one thing (here it is usally the bread), then they don't get more, because if they are hungry, there is food on their plate. they will not starve, and I won't worry about it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Lou