Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Transitioning new little guy

Hey,

So I have a new little guy that started today. The parents are great and he is super cute. He has been crying quite a bit this morning which is manageable/expected but he also will not eat/drink for me. The parents sent along purees because they said he struggles with solids. When I explored this a bit more, they said they just always "top him up" with purees after eating because they worry he's not getting enough food (he is chunky, good chunky). I had encouraged them before his starting to stop this to aid his transition. Anyways, he won't eat or even drink water/milk for me. He had already been weaned a while back so this isn't the issue. I tried getting him to at least eat some grapes or something without luck. He is getting picked up a bit early today (3:30) to help him get used to the long days. I have actually never had a difficult transition with any kid (knock on wood). They have all been fine aside from naps at first. i have had kids eat way less then they would but they would usually take some cheerios/a cracker/cookie even just to get them to eat something.

ahhh....transitionin g...my fave thing about daycare...

I would not worry about the not eating aspect yet. I found a lot of children, especially the younger ones, will go on a food strike the first few days in a new setting.

I"m transitioning a new 18 month old today as well. He fit right in, only cried for 2 min in the morning after dcd left...BUT he refusing to sleep. He cried for 45 min. He is still standing in his playpen refusing to even sit down. Why?? cause mum and his last provider would rock him to sleep. No way, NOT happening here. It's okay, I've got my earplugs on and both fans going strong to drown out noise for the other daycare kiddos who need their sleep.

Not worried. DCB will eventually get it, so will yours.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't worry too much on day one. Some little ones just can't manage food/drink when stressed. I, personally, would have a bottle ready for when he gets picked up and have mom/dad give it too him. He may accept it from his parents which may help him take it from you tomorrow. I'd reassure the parents that it is normal and expected and that it can take a few days for some children to be settled in enough to eat.

Hope he sleeps for you!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have experienced this too. He will come around, just let parents know to expect a hungry little guy at dinner time

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AcornsFalling For This Useful Post: