Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Amber teething necklaces

I have a child, 19 months, who is a constant drooler!! He goes through multiple bibs and shirts a day, I get drooled on constantly, the toys and play room floor have to get washed daily, his playpen is a mess when he cries (one day he cried the full 2 hours and a spot on my carpet was wet from drool!). Mom said he has had one month where he didn't drool and that his older sister was a drooler too.

I am wondering if an amber necklace would help?? I thought I would suggest it to mom and see if she wants to buy one. I'm also considering buying one for dc but wasn't sure if the child needs to wear it 24/7 for it to be effective?

I have a 15 month old who wears one and is teething right now but never drools. However, I don't know if it's because of the necklace or if he just isn't a drooler.

I'm sooooo tired of the drooling and he's only been here 2 weeks! Any suggestions?!

I had a little guy start at 10 months wearing an amber necklace. I wasn't 100% comfortable with it but it was under his clothing and he left it alone so it wasn't an issue. At 12 months old he started playing with it and chewing it and I spoke to mom about the potential risks it posed for the child in addition to the other children in the group if the necklace were to snap. After doing some research and getting feedback from his mother she took it away saying it was a gift and that's why he had it on but that there really wasn't much strong evidence to prove that they were beneficial and she agreed that they were a choking hazard. I don't allow them here now and really don't think they are effective. There are much safer alternatives out their to help a teething baby/child which don't have such high safety risks. As for the drooling, I have an excessive drooler here or goes through a good 6 bibs a day, but it doesn't bother me. It is what it is and there's nothing I can do about it so I don't let it bother me. As long as the little guy is dry and clean it's not a problem to me.

Euphoric !
    I had a little boy start at about 11 months with one that he had worn since 3 months of age. It always worried me so I took it off at naptime for the first few months but then stopped thinking about it. As bright sparks said, he kept it under his clothes and never bothered with it.

A few months ago the 16 month old gigantic baby started pulling on it every time he spotted it, so I started taking it off him and putting it in his backpack. I think his Mom got my message because at 2.5 years of age they finally took it off him.

I've had a few droolers who grossed me out so bad and I was washing my poor futon and so many toys nightly. The little boy with the amber necklace never drooled. So I don't know if there is a connection or not!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Some kids just drool and some don't. I don't allow the necklaces or jewelry of any kind at daycare as it is not my job to keep it from getting broke but it is my job to provide a safe play space for even the youngest and it isn't if there are beads all through the bins.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I agree , out of my own 5 kids I had one that constantly drooled !! Every pic I took of him his shirt was soaking wet ! I didn't do bibs as he was a big boy ( about the size of a two yr old at 12 months !!) and it just looked weird !!
    Eventually it stopped lol I could literally go through the pictures and figure it out !!
    I had twins at my dayhome start wearing them at 2 yrs old ! They never bothered with them so it wasn't a prob !!!

Euphoric !
    I read about them on the internet and it seems that a lot of parents swear by them. They are designed that if they do break, only one bead falls off apparently. They say to make sure that the necklace isn't long enough that the child can pull at it or put it in their mouth. So far, the other kids haven't even noticed the one boys and the boy that wears it never touches it. His mom is a nurse so maybe I will talk to her and see what she thinks about it for drooling.

Bright sparks....that's good that it doesn't bother you. This little boy is never dry tho lol. The dc is a mess everyday because of his drooling. I know there likely isn't anything that will stop it but I'm willing to see if the amber necklace will decrease it a bit! I've never seen such a heavy drooler in my 7 years! It's crazy lol.

Euphoric !
    I had 1 girl come with it on once. I didn't feel comfortable with it on her so I just took it off and put it in her bag. I don't know if it really made much difference.

Expansive...
    My kids wore them, and I loved them. I have one for my headaches as well-- maybe it is placebo maybe it helps-- I'll take it.

The ones for kids should be designed so even if it snaps only one bead comes off and it should be designed with a scew closure.

Out of my 5 kids one has NEVER snapped.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone for your input!! The boy is away today because he had a fever yesterday but tomorrow I am going to ask mom what she thinks of trying one. I have to do something....or else my dc and everything in it are going to be slimy and gross every day!! haha

Mamaof4...when I was reading up on them, I was intrigued and wondered if it would help with some of my ailments lol (back pain and migraines)

Starting to feel at home...
    I have 2 of my dcks wearing them. They are tied in between beads so if it breaks only 1 bead will fall off. Neither children even play with them so it's not an issue. If they did, or if one of the others were grabbing at it, then yes, I would remove it.

Not sure if it works or not but neither one of these dcks drool

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post: