Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing
    I don't know what the cause would be but that sounds disgusting! I would be at the end of my rope too!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I feel bad that I am so grossed out by it because it's not really something he can help or control it seems. I just can't handle being drooled on anymore. Every parent (both mom's and dad's) has commented on how much he drools so I know it's not just me that thinks it's overboard. He is a messy eater as well and food literally falls out of his mouth so I am beginning to think it's just a case of him not knowing how to swallow his saliva!! I don't know how to teach a child to do that though
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 05-15-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Euphoric !
    he should be evaluated for oral issues. It sounds like his tongue, jaw, etc muscles are not very strong. He is likely to develop speech issues as he grows if the muscles are weak. He needs to be taught to swallow the stuff not to just let it flow out. There are medications that can dry it up but they tend to cause more issues than the drooling does. With special needs kids there are terry bandana type bibs to put on them and then they are used to wipe the mouth as necessary and replaced as soaked.

You may have to verbally remind him to close his mouth. If he has trouble doing that he should be seen to have an assessment done of breathing and adenoids since if they are enlarged could be contributing to the issues.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree play felt! I read all the things you've mentioned when I was researching excessive drooling and I think this may be the cause for him. Mom has mentioned that her daughter was a drooler but on Friday she also told me when he was born he made no noise and they had him upside down and slapping him and she said this went on for 10 minutes! She couldn't remember the name for it but he apparently had liquid in his lungs from what she said. I was a tad confused with her story because she wasn't explaining it very well. It made me wonder if that had anything to do with the drooling though. He has very little words as well he will be 2 in September.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 05-16-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Expansive...
    Sorry I didn't read properly , 2 yrs old ? That's way too old for that much slobber ! Ew I'm sorry , I would gag ! I'm ok with so much but for some reason slobber makes me squeamish !!!
    Her birth story sounds abit traumatic , maybe some issues resulting from that ? I feel so bad for you ! I feel sorry for him too !! I would feel like I had to clean , clean , clean all the time because of his slobbering !
    Not sure what to say !! But I do feel for you !!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    thanks second.....I do clean a lot more now! lol. One of the other kids asked why he is always so "sticky" haha and they are really good about bringing me toys that have pools of drool on/in them. I have been wearing my slippers more often to avoid stepping in the drool and on the days that we can, we spend most of it outside so it's less cleaning for me and it just wipes off his rain jacket. It is what it is I guess!

Thanks for listening to me vent!

Outgoing
    try googling "excessive drooling in a 2 yr old" there are things like seeing an occupational therapist, getting tonsils or adnoids removed. What does the dr say, has mom said anything to him. Because thats not normal and she has to know this.

Euphoric !
    Thanks momofnerds! I have googled this many times lol. I have sent 3 or 4 links to mom as well and suggested she speak to her doctor as I didn't think this was normal. I sent her the links awhile ago and she said she would try some of the suggestions at home and last Thursday is when I mentioned speaking to her doctor. I haven't seen them since then because he has been home sick so I am not sure if she talked to the doctor regarding the excessive drooling.

I have told her IMO that it's not normal, suggested she speak to a doctor and have sent her links on this behaviour. Not much more I can do, the ball is in her court now in my eyes. I will just continue to deal with it on my end and hope for the best!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Update....after a week of him gone due to sickness, he was back yesterday. He went through 2 bibs instead of the normal 6-8!!! He has been wearing the necklace since I bought it for him. Mom excitedly said she has noticed a huge decrease in his drooling!!

I still don't think the amount he drools is normal but wearing the necklace does seem to work and I'll take that! I've read/heard the necklaces do nothing and are just a placebo but IME, the decrease of bibs is proof enough for me! Whether it truly does work or is just hokey pokey, I don't know but I'll be keeping it on him thanks everyone!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: