Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Well it has been a little over a week now! I have seen so much improvement! I had mom bring a few jars of chunky baby food plus the ones I bought myself. I have been cutting up everything I make for the other kids into small pieces and putting it in front of him. I stick some of it in his mouth. He usually freaks out and spits it out. After I let him sit for about 5 minutes with the food in front of him (usually him crying because he doesn't want it) then I take it away and mix it into his pureed baby food. I slowly switched to mixing it with the chunky baby food. He didn't like that at the start but soon realized that he was going to have to go hungry if he didn't eat. Today he had cucumber (cut up) for morning snack and ate a half of grilled cheese sandwich (cut into 8) for lunch. No crying, no baby food and no help from me at all today!! We have cut out his bottle and soother completely. Now if only mom would work with him at home - she just gives in so that she doesn't have to listen to him cry. Oh well, success here!! I am so happy!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That's great! Glad you're having progress.

My puree fed baby that "can't handle real food" according to parents is doing well too. I just gave him real food when he started last week and he is learning to eat it or be hungry. I also send parents lot's of pics when a kid starts and a lot of those pics have him eating a whole banana, regular food cut up etc. They got it!The parents have stopped the purees at home now and he is eating even more at DC.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Wow that's great news for the both of you. I had a mother pick up her 15mth old last week, yes the same neurotic parent lol, and her son was sat on the bottom step waiting with his shoes on finishing his raw carrot stick and when she came in she was gobsmacked and said to me "He can eat that??" Jee Whizz Lady. What the???? She says for breakfast she gives him those fruit and yogurt baby mixes on a spoon, they are in a squeezy package or something???...Oh my goodness. This next generation is so screwed. Thank heavens they have daycare providers like us to snap them out of this pronto lol

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have to admit....until just awhile ago, I didn't give kids under 18 months hard veggies like carrots, celery, broccoli etc. I boiled them all the time lol. I actually still don't really give them that stuff unless it's cut in slivers haha. I just don't feel like dealing with a choking incident...

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I have to admit....until just awhile ago, I didn't give kids under 18 months hard veggies like carrots, celery, broccoli etc. I boiled them all the time lol. I actually still don't really give them that stuff unless it's cut in slivers haha. I just don't feel like dealing with a choking incident...
    They could as easily choke on a piece of meat....they learn to chew properly through exposure and trial and error.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    They could as easily choke on a piece of meat....they learn to chew properly through exposure and trial and error.
    Yup, I know all that. Some centre habits are still with me though and hard to break. All daycare meat is cooked in a slow cooker though and incredibly soft. Kids can choke on anything really however.

Euphoric !
    Even if you cook roast beef, carrots and potatoes, or lasagna, or meatloaf, whatever, a 9 month old can eat it. Just cut it really, really small. I have never had a child on baby food since I had the 4 month old join us years ago, but by 9 months they also need the nutrition. The only time I've had anybody choke was if they put too much in their mouth, so if you moniter that, you will be fine.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.