Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swing danger

Euphoric !
    Glad I'm not the only one that does stuff like that Spixie just so I can say See I told you so now next time listen and do as you are told.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Playfelt and Spixie. Children need to learn that there are natural consequences to their actions. I would not let a child get really hurt but sometimes a little ouch goes a long way to teach a lesson.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcornsFalling For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    It's not true where I live that schools and daycares can't have swings. However, there are rules about how close they can be to other things such as climbers and fences. They also have to have so much open space around them.

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I don't think it's an extreme reaction at all. Swings aren't put on school or daycare playgrounds any more for this very reason. They are, in fact, quite dangerous and in ECE, they were considered a huge liability risk. I took them down at my old daycare location as well, after a 3 year old got kicked in the face. That parent was cool and understanding....lot s aren't. Best to be rid of them.
    My kids have been through 4 schools so far, between relocating, then damm small towns with very few home schools beyond grade 6, French immersion transfer and then the whole reconstruction of the French and English school designations meaning another move, and every one of them has swings on them. Most school playgrounds are also public parks so I'm not sure where you have seen schools with no swings unless it is the catholic board but I know in Niagara and Halton Region most public school playgrounds have swings. Next they will want to take monkey bars out......I know numerous kids who have fallen off those and broken their arm but no serious injuries from swings.....painful no doubt but no visits to the emergency room that's for sure. If we take things away we may be preventing them from being hurt that way but not teaching them how to be safe as a result.

Euphoric !
    It will obviously depend on where you live but I have seen less and less swings at school playgrounds(and any new structures that are being built never have swings in them IME) and some have taken them all out completely and I've never seen swings at daycare centres.

I don't agree with it but I also can see why they have chose to decrease the amount of swings. I know a few people who broke their legs as kids jumping off the swings.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 05-14-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Outgoing
    Thanks for all the advice...it's tough and i can see both sides, and know we can't bubble wrap kids. My own 3 teenage kids always had swings growing up and were slammed into next week, and i never worried about it as much as i do now with other people's kids...bad me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Thanks for all the advice...it's tough and i can see both sides, and know we can't bubble wrap kids. My own 3 teenage kids always had swings growing up and were slammed into next week, and i never worried about it as much as i do now with other people's kids...bad me.
    I think that's a huge part of the concern though, they are not our children. It's not that we care less for our kids, goodness no, but the liability of caring for someone else's child is huge and accident or not, if a child gets badly injured it is our ass on the line. I have swings and am just cautious and keep a close eye on the kids but I ultimately control the swing anyway so if there are little ones playing on the play structure I don't push as high so if they get bumped it's not like they are being hit with the force of an 8 or 9 year old who has really got the swing going.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    I know what you mean. There are things I don't allow my dck's to do that I do allow my cousins(which are my godchildren and I treat them like mine lol) or would allow my own (future) children to do. As an example, I would allow my own children to play in the backyard without me directly in the yard for a period of time. I would never allow this with my dck's though because if something were to happen, it is on me. There are plenty of things like this and we just need to take the precautions that we feel are right. If you think taking down the swings is the best approach to this, then so be it. It's your dc so do what you think is right

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I feel like we are getting so worried about our children playing ! We may be bubble wrapping soon !!! I get it ! I do , who hasn't seen someone run across and get hit by a swinger ! It's sad ! It hurts ! Most of the time , thankfully they live without severe injury . In a backyard and at the age you mentioned , I don't think I would pull the swings . I think it's a lesson we all learnt !
    I am very much a hover mother with my last child ! Def !! And I treat my ducks pretty much the same , but I'm getting better at realizing kids fall , get hurt and heal !
    So my advice would be keep the swing but as mentioned it's your dayhoke , do what makes you feel more comfortable :-)

Shy
    Really like the idea of explaining the rules of playing near the swings to the kids. Any more feedback on this?