Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

I am so ready to quit!

My DC kids are all off today! I expected my new DCB to be off (started last week, still isn't fully settled) but my own girls in particular are really off. Both not listening, difficulty following directions, destructive, pestering kids. My 4 yo DD refused to get ready when it was time to go outside. She loves being outside but has always found this transition difficult. Today I had zero patience and took away her TV for not listening and then just left her in the daycare (everything is safe down there and I have a video monitor I bring out). This works for her as I did it twice before and she thinks "oh crap" and gets herself ready and comes out to join us. Once she was outside I put her on timeout and then she joined the group. Great outside, come in and everything is good. Doesn't like lunch so I send her to her room as she isn't going to eat it and is pestering her peers. I am so done. 2.5 yo DD is also not listening, pestering her peers at the table, ran threw the daycare with her sandy, muddy shoes.

I don't have the issues with my girls on the weekend and we had a really amazing weekend. I wonder how much they are just sick of having a daycare in their house, sharing their mom and how much is just the transition from a more laid back routine to the daycare routine...

Expansive...
    Days like that are the worst. I think we all have them. If it were me I think I would have given DD two choices : time out or play outside. My dd is my most difficult child and when she doesn't want to cooperate this is the choice she gets. Do what has been asked of you or sit in a time out until you do. However I wouldn't have put her in a time out once she actually came outside. Punishment should always cease as soon as the behavior changes. Those are just my two cents, take or leave! I hope your day improves! It's gorgeous here today but suppose to rain ALL week starting tomorrow so we are going to enjoy the outdoors for sure.

Euphoric !
    Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't normally have put her on time out once she came outside but to be honest I was still mad! I'm human! Giving her two choices usually works for her however timeouts have never been super effective with her this last while. Especially because she would love to sit on a timeout rather then go outside because this is what she is trying to avoid. I have found earning and loosing privileges more effective to get her moving and of course praising her when she is listening or getting ready without an issue.

Euphoric !
    I think I just needed to post it and I felt much better. I actually sat and chatted with both my girls one on one after my post and we talked about turning things around and having a wonderful afternoon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

FSD

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    Glad to hear you're feeling better! I know exactly what you're going through....of all the kids in my care, my almost 4 year old daughter is the one that drives me the most nuts! I know that I'm going to probably be a blubbering fool when she goes off to school in September, but right now I'm counting the days!!!

Outgoing
    My 4 year old DS is close to my highest maintenance kid. Lately he's decided not to listen to me at all, really has me doubting my behavioral strategies. I'm hoping that with enough consistency, it'll click with him.

My issue is that he's the oldest one here, and doesn't have anyone his age/developmental group to play with. And he won't be in school in September either (not mandatory in AB, I've decided to keep him home for numerous reasons). I feel for him, but at the same time, it's not ok for him to tells no and refuse to follow directions.

You are not alone! My own youngest son just started school this year and I confess...my days are a lot easier! He is a very loud, rough, crazy kid (very strange as my husband and I, and his older brother are pretty quiet, low key people). I spent last year trying to compensate by one on one time with him during daycare nap time and was exhausted. Night time, of course was all about Dad. I have to say, I love the huge smile as he runs into my arms after school and our time at night is so much fun and special. We do have a special bond now that I definitely attribute to spending so much time together; I just didn't really see it until this year. So, all that was definitely worth it.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    Days like that are rough. Whenever I have a bad day (and threaten to run away from it all, lol) I always remind myself that tomorrow will always be better. And it usually is Glad it turned around for you and your kids.