Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Time to discharge her from care?

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great Mother's Day -- even those of you who may not be mothers, you still look after, nurture and raise children, so you should feel really good about that!

I have one almost-four-year-old girl who has been in my care for about four weeks now. It's been very challenging trying to get her to get used to the day care -- the second week she was supposed to be in my care, her dad came into town, so she stayed with him that week. Then last week, she stayed at home two days because her grandma wanted to spend time with her. I still got paid for these days, so that's not the issue.

Every time she gets dropped off she screams, clings to mom etc. I just cuddle her and talk about what we're going to do that day, and she gets over it eventually. But this kid will not eat anything I give her. And if I simply ask her nicely to eat and explain why it is important, she gets hysteric and throws a screaming/crying fit.

Today our lunch was: homemade tuna mac and cheese (whole grain macaroni noodles) with carrot sticks and pear slices and milk. As soon as she saw what was on her plate she started to cry, and I explained to her that this is what is for lunch. She went from fine to hysterical in about two seconds, and started screaming at me to make her hot dogs. I told her that this is what is for lunch today and that I won't be making her something different. She screamed, cried, flailed, basically went nuts. The other kids were disturbed by this while they were trying to eat her lunch, so I put her in a time out in the kitchen (we eat in the dining room -- but the two rooms are connected without a door in between so I could see her the whole time). She just sat in her chair (which she was buckled into thankfully) thrashing and flailing and spitting on my kitchen floor. Eventually the screaming subsided (after maybe 15 minutes of full-on fit throwing) and then I asked her if she wanted to eat now and she said no.

This girl can't life on a handful of goldfish crackers a day. I've told this to mom and the mom doesn't seem like she really knows what to do. I have asked her a couple times to bring me a list of foods her daughter likes and I will try to incorporate them into my own healthy meals to get her eating more, but she hasn't yet.

I have another picky eater, but at least she will try everything, and doesn't throw a huge fit when she doesn't want to eat -- just nibbles on her fruit or vegetables and waits for the other kids to be done eating.

The other thing about this one girl is that any time I need to discipline her (I use gentle guidance and then time outs) she throws the same kind of fit and it turns into 15-20 minutes of screaming, thrashing, flailing, spitting, crying, etc.

I've given her four weeks, but it's really only been about three with all the time she's been away. I haven't had her mom sign the contract yet because of my six-week trail period, when we can both feel free to go our separate ways.

My thoughts are: today is my pay day. Should I accept the two-week payment from her mom for the next two weeks and stick it out two more weeks to see if it gets better, or cut my losses now and tell her when she gets back today that I won't be able to keep her daughter (and of course not accept her payment)?

Thoughts and advice would be super duper appreciated!

My sister who is a dc provider but not on this forum had a 2 yr old who was the same as this child. She ate strawberries and grilled cheese and that's all. It took 6 solid weeks of sticking to her guns to get her to eat a variety of healthy foods. It was 6 weeks solid of screaming and refusing to eat! It may get better but you will have to be tough

Euphoric !
    I had a DCB that ate literally nothing. He learned to eat for me or go hungry. His mom never understood why he would eat for me (he was still picky mind you but there was no fight anymore and he ate more things then before). I found with him it was very important to not make too big a deal when he did eat something because it was almost like I was pointing out his caving or something because he would stop eating that item again after he was praised. The less emotion you can attach to the eating the better. He eats or doesn't eat...don't make a big deal

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    At 4 years, there is absolutely no way the child should be acting this way. I get the picky eating, but throwing an all it tantrum and flailing about, screaming for 15 minutes over it? No f-ing way (pardon my French)!!! I assume she does this often? To be honest, I'd terminate. You've given it a much more solid shot than I would have.

If you're interested in keeping her, I'd ignore the screaming behavior entirely, she does it once at mealtime, she's done, in the other room until the rest of the kids are finished. Turn her chair around so she can't see the other kids watching her, she'll feed on the attention. I'd offer her a reward for trying new food. Starting with one bite and several goldfish (or whatever), after a few days if success, one bite for one goldfish, then finish a serving and get one or two. This is a difficult process, that involves a lot of attention. Just to prepare you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

This happens at breakfast time, morning snack, lunch time and afternoon snack. So four times a day.

Euphoric !
    Do you feel like you can keep dealing with it or are you done? if you are done I would tell mom you can no longer keep her in daycare. If you are willing to keep trying then I suggest you put the food in front of her and walk away. if she decides to throw a tantrum she needs to be removed from the table and placed in timeout (why is she strapped to her chair at 4 years old?). She doesn't come out of timeout until she has quit her tantrum. When she is done then ask her if she is ready to sit and eat. If she says no then she gets nothing but must sit at the table and wait for the other kids to be finished their food or continue to sit in timeout until everyone else is done. Use your firm voice, be consistent and don't give in.
    Last edited by mickyc; 05-12-2014 at 02:36 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

She is strapped to a chair because if she is not, she poses a danger to herself and the other kids -- flailing around, running away, will NOT listen. I have a high table so she is in a booster seat anyway, and normally I don't strap it unless she is already throwing a fit.

MickyC, I like your advice. I think I will give it two more weeks, but I am going to be really honest with the mom today at closing time and let her know that this needs to be stopped.

Unfortunately, the best interest for you and the children in your care is to terminate the care.

Euphoric !
    Although this child is being difficult I don't believe in terminating over everything. Where do all these children end up? bouncing from daycare to daycare is not the answer either. This child needs to be taught what is acceptable behaviour and quick. I do not allow those sort of tantrum's. Children who act this way have been allowed to act this way at home. Kids learn fast what is acceptable at home and what is acceptable in a daycare home even if the rules are totally different. The difference is the provider. If you are firm and strict then the child will learn quick. They likely won't enjoy coming to your house for the first bit while they learn what is expected of them. I always say if some of my parents saw how I interact with their child they wouldn't keep their child here. It isn't that I am mean but some kids never hear NO at home and I have rules and do not allow tantrums, talking back, negotiating etc which I find so many parents allow these days.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I'm going to give it two more weeks, but I'm going to be firm and strict (while also loving). Thanks for everyone's input!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SevenwatersDaughter For This Useful Post: