Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Switching to school age only

My original daycare plan was to only do it until my youngest daughter started kindergarten, which is 3 years from now. But my mom came up with the bright idea of switching to providing only before & after school care at that time and then doing some other kind of job part time while everyone is at school. This would eleviate the problem and complication of finding before & after school care for my own girls.

But what to do for a second job? I was thinking of a job outside the home, but that would probably be difficult because I would have to be available for inservices and school holidays.

Has anyone else done this or have any ideas? I have a lot of education and skills.

Outgoing
    What about an education assistant? Or some other job that can be done part time in school. That way they don't need you on inservice days.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    What about an education assistant? Or some other job that can be done part time in school. That way they don't need you on inservice days.
    I was thinking about working in a school. The ideal thing would be work at the school across from my home, but I probably wouldn't get that lucky! I am definitely going to keep that it mind.

Euphoric !
    I'd apply for jobs that you think you would like. Let them know you're availability and go from there. You never know, you might luck out and get the hours you need! Good luck!

Daycare's, EA's, Group home care, Banks, School Secretary...those are ones that come to mind when I think of day shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I'd apply for jobs that you think you would like. Let them know you're availability and go from there. You never know, you might luck out and get the hours you need! Good luck!

Daycare's, EA's, Group home care, Banks, School Secretary...those are ones that come to mind when I think of day shifts.
    Banks wouldn't be good hours at first. Usually the first one in gets the rubbish shifts and regular weekends. You have some time to really look into options which is great and I think working in the school would work hours wise but also look great to prospective families looking for care. Maybe you wouldn't need to work everyday either if you are full with B&A care and if you have a few older ones too then they wouldn't fall into your ratios. I would consider offering summer and school holiday care as a first come first served basis with a registration date for full weeks...more like a summer camp and even if you work in a school the staff usually have to be in school on PA days too depending on their position.

Euphoric !
    Aren't you a teacher? Couldn't you work as a sub?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Aren't you a teacher? Couldn't you work as a sub?
    I am a teacher, but it is very unlikely that I would be able to sub because of the hours. The time would overlap with the drop off and pick up of the kids before and after school, also would have to put in commute time to get to whatever school needs me. Subbing sucks too, I didn't really like doing it before.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Banks wouldn't be good hours at first. Usually the first one in gets the rubbish shifts and regular weekends. You have some time to really look into options which is great and I think working in the school would work hours wise but also look great to prospective families looking for care. Maybe you wouldn't need to work everyday either if you are full with B&A care and if you have a few older ones too then they wouldn't fall into your ratios. I would consider offering summer and school holiday care as a first come first served basis with a registration date for full weeks...more like a summer camp and even if you work in a school the staff usually have to be in school on PA days too depending on their position.
    I like the summer camp idea, I enjoy the older kids and like planning stuff for them - let's me do all the fun parts of being a teacher without having to do all the marking and paperwork.

Yes, I would have to see about the schedule for jobs within a school that are non-teacher. I don't remember whether the educational assistants or other non-teaching positions had to be there on inservice days.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

I am not sure about Man, but in SK we were not required to be at inservices, just staff meetings (If we were f/t, or half) Good luck! I was an EA

Euphoric !
    My sil is an EA and she doesn't work any days that the children aren't there. She works 9-330 though so depending what school you are at, it could be tight with schedules unless you get a shorter shift.