Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving

Starting to feel at home...

Moving

My husband just accepted a job offer in a different city. He starts in 2 weeks. I will be giving my families notice June 1 for being done for July since we are relocating. I need a month off before we sell our home just to fix all the dents and dings from the munchkins.

I feel really bad about not telling them right away but I don't want to give up income until July. My question is, how do I word my letter to the families?

Thanks in advance

Euphoric !
    What do you have in your contract? I actually don't have anything in my contract that states how much notice I will give for closing but I ask that 4 weeks of withdrawal is given by the families so I would likely give a month's notice of closure to them as well. If they were to leave before that, they would still be required to pay because of the contract.

I am giving 30 days notice as per my contract. I'm just wondering how to word my letter to give my notice. I can't help but feel guilty. It's just the way I am. lol. I just want to sound professional.

Euphoric !
    It's natural to feel guilty but there isn't much you can do. You are moving to another city and I'm sure the parents will understand. For me, I know that dc is hard to come by around here so even if I gave them notice now (6 weeks instead of 4) I would still require 4 weeks notice and the chances of them finding care in those 2 weeks is slim so I wouldn't be concerned about loosing them early....but the risk is always there. I think for me, I would let them know now but if you can't afford to potentially loose the income than give the 30 days notice and try not to feel guilty!! You have to look out for your family first! You are doing nothing wrong as you are abiding by your contract.

I would just send out a letter stating that your husband has accepted a new job in xxx city and you will be moving xxx date. Daycare will be closing and the last date of care is xxx and money owed is due xxx. If I was going to be opening up a new dc in the new city and wanted to use them for references I may even consider attaching a thank you card to the letters that are very specific to the families. I would thank them for being such a great family and list reasons why I thought this and express how much I will miss their child and them. I would want to end things on a positive note so that when it gets closer to the closing date, I could ask if they wouldn't mind being a reference for me in the future.

Good luck!! I hope the move goes smoothly and your husband enjoys his new job

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

I just gave notice to my families on Monday.

My letter was very basic:

Dear DCPS,

It is with regret that I am announcing the closure of my home daycare. The last day of care for your child is XXX.

I have enjoyed getting to know your child and your family and wish you all the best in the future.

Sincerely,
    Me

I handed it to them, verbally told them I was closing and offered a brief reason why (schedules too busy, I need daytime flexibility), and that was it.

I gave 4 weeks notice (my contract says 3). I felt really guilty, too, but as soon as I told the last parents I felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

Good luck with everything!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post: