Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Running daycare with a newborn and sibling jealousy?

Hello ladies!

I had a baby girl Easter Sunday. I also have a 5 year old daughter. I was unsure of how long I would be taking mat. leave and my families were aware I would be taking a minimum of 8 weeks and maybe up until September. 2 said that worked for them.

I knew my 5 year old would likely be a bit bratty, pouty, etc. I try very hard to include her in all baby activities - bathing, diapers, picking out clothes, etc. when I nurse I try to get her to bring me a book to read to her or play a game. She generally declines. Then tells me she's too bored. I do sit down and play with her throughout the day when baby naps. She has developed such an attitude towards me - disagreeable, sullen, rude at times. She's got playschool twice a week, dance once and a playdatw or 2. I wasn't expecting this behavior to go on so long.

Anyhow, now I have one family asking me to come back in a few weeks, but I'm not sure how I'll manage with 2 extras.....they're 4 and 6. Very good, but I'm still in my pajamas at 9 sometimes. But I'm wondering if I should do it for the 5 year olds sake? I'd rather not, but feel guilty in a way.....am I doing my 5 year old a disservice? She starts kindergarten in sept. And I feel like if finances will allow, I'd love the time to just focus on my little family for now.

Anyone done daycare and newborn? Or have tips on how to deal with my 5 year old? Any insight and advice is appreciated.

Should add, until baby came, my 5 year old would play on her own. The attitude has been developing since she turned 5 in February. I think it's partly just being 5.
    Last edited by busydaycarelady; 05-15-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Euphoric !
    I can't speak from personally experience but helping with the baby gets old pretty quick and no matter how much you try, with a newborn, the attention is pretty much always focussed on the baby.

I would think having a 4 and 6 year old at home would help keep your daughter busy and give her some attention that does not evolve around the baby. Worst case you try it and have to cancel the arrangement after a couple weeks/months because it is just not working.

Shy
    I just went through this in the fall. My newest LO was 5 weeks old and I also have a 4 & 8 year old. I had 3 DC children return (3-1/2, 3 & 2-1/2) and had 2 new families start after 4 mths. You just have to manage your families expectations and there may be days where it is a more relaxed free play, movies etc. I chose to go the local early years center 3-4 times a week because #1 I was able to be mobile and #2 it was a great distraction for the children (mine included). My LO is now 8mths old and I have 5 full timers and my 4 year old is here every other day. Our days are crazy, busy and so fun and I wouldn't change it for a minute (even the exhaustion)!

Euphoric !
    I started my daycare when my own kids were 4 months and 23 months. My next two kids were born into the daycare and had a week off each time. I did find it much easier with the daycare kids because it kept my older ones occupied and parents were aware that it would be straight freeplay, tv when I needed to feed the baby, etc. and all were ok with that. My own showed more interest in helping with the baby when the daycare kids were there as the baby became the group activity. I know it isn't for everyone but it worked well for me.