Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sickness Policy

Expansive...
    In my opinion, if you are too sick for school- you are too sick for daycare.

I allow colds and mild fevers too. I have in my parent manual that if the child climbs above 101F, they have to be picked up. I do not allow children to come or stay if they are too sick to play, though.
    Last edited by Sandbox Sally; 10-03-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Celcius/Farenheit correction

While I agree that systems need to be built up I am not going to keep the kid in my care if they are grouchy/slleepy/not eating/asking for the parent

Euphoric !
    Exactly.... If I had a child in care that got a migraine, they would have NONE of the necessary symptoms for exclusion. However, that poor little person would be in absolute agony, and not be able to do the normal things we are doing.
    Ultimately, it's about the child's comfort for me.

Starting to feel at home...
    Since most of my kids are before and after, i tell my parents, if they are too sick for school, they are too sick for my house. The one family will send their kids to school regardless of the severity of the cold or cough, so they end up at my house afterschool. I did have a family in the begining who showed up at my door one morning, the daughter had Strep Throat and couldnt go to school, she expected me to take her... bc after all she had been at my house after school the day before (when she had a sore throat but hadnt been diagnosed as strep yet) so my kids were already exposed, so why couldnt she come? Same mom showed up a 2nd time 2 days before my own vacation which we were going away, with her daugther who had been throwing up the night before. She told me that she had warned her husband that he might get a call from me saying daugther was sick again, then before I could say anything shoved daugther (pail as a sheet) in the door said she couldnt take time off work and there was no one else to look after her and hightailed it before I could say anything. I called her 20mins later to say she shouldnt be here, i'll take her to her dad after I drop the kids at school. Well, she was po'd and said dont take her home to dad take her to her aunt (whom she previosuly said was unavailable) and then tried to get out of paying me for that day..... her rational was that daughter had been around my kids all day the day before, if they were going to get sick they were already exposed.... but I stuck to my guns, got paid, had my vaca and didnt catch whatever the daugther had!

Sorry, that got way off the policy topic... colds, as long as they arent too sever, like if the kids is feeling so miserable that they cant do anything, I ask they keep them home. Other contagious stuff its in my contract that they cant come. But as I said above, I always top that off with the "if they are too sick for school, they are too sick for my house".