Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shots?

Starting to feel at home...

Shots?

Hi everyone and happy Friday (finally) I am wondering if anyone on this forum is concerned with whether or not a new dc child is vaccinated? I got a call yesterday for a client interested in starting in Sept,( and my calls are few and far between), and it came up that they have chosen not to inoculate their child. I then said I wasn't interested as I have parents with new babies with big kids in my care and I would worry that the babies wouldn't have been vaccinated yet. I feel a real responsibility to all involved with my daycare but for some strange reason the conversation is not sitting well with me. Am I wrong for my feelings? I think I'm looking for a little validation. Thoughts anyone

Euphoric !
    It personally doesn't matter to me. I find vaccinating is a personal choice and to be honest, I don't ask so I don't even know if everyone in my care is or isn't. I've had one parent tell me during an interview that they hadn't decided yet if they were going too but they ended up not coming here anyways.

If your not comfortable with it though I don't see anything wrong with not accepting children who aren't vaccinated.

Outgoing
    Personally, I am with you madmom. I wouldn't accept a child who wasn't vaccinated either. My youngest was 8 months old when I opened, so I especially wanted to know that all my daycare children were up-to-date, as she was still somewhat vulnerable. Opinions differ widely, I believe that it is extremely irresponsible of parents to put their child and possibly other children at risk. I understand that not everyone agrees with me, and that is fine, but people have to understand that if they don't vaccinate, their child may not be allowed to go to certain daycares, travel to certain places, etc. When my older 2 children were younger and going to daycare, I had to provide proof of immunization for them to be accepted, and it was a private home daycare through an agency. I didn't think that was extreme at all, and honestly was glad that all the children HAD to be up-to-date to be allowed to attend.

I don't think you overstepped at all; I would have done exactly the same thing. If people choose not to vaccinate, I hope they have researched and become informed on the pros and cons of each side, and are not just listening to silly celebrity opinions, and I hope that they will accept that their child may not be allowed to go or participate in certain things, as that's the choice they made.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

I've had an interview with a new family a few weeks back that has asked if all the children in my care were up to date with their vaccinations. This was a first. All my crew is vaccinated and I do ask that they fill out a form in my package that includes a checklist of vaccinations their child has received.

I do require that all kids are vaccinated, however this was a first time a client asked about the other children in my care.

Euphoric !
    My preference is for all to be vaccinated. I only opened in January and my whole crew is vaccinated (they are only 13-18months though so have many more shots to go) some families opted to do a delayed schedule so a few are a bit behind, which I don't mind too much.

As I start to have family turn over and a mix of older and younger kids I would be more comfortable if they are all vaccinated. While they odds of an unvaccinated child catching something is slim, if someone was to catch something the odds of others in my care getting it is just too high.

Unfortunately families that choose not to vaccinate set themselves up to being refused care for that reason and they need to accept that. As for a family asking if others are vaccinated...I would assume the new measles cases in local schools has put it on the minds of families.

Expansive...
    I only take them if they are vaccinated. I have several kids with newborn siblings at home, and feel better if they are all vaccinated. To each their own, but that's what works for me.

Starting to feel at home...
    I prefer that they are all vaccinated. I don't ask for proof that they are but vaccinating is always discussed in the interviewing process. I have a policy in place that states that I won't accept a child in care for 24 hours after receiving boosters. The parent's views will always come up when I discuss that policy.

Expansive...
    I do not ask . I believe it is a personal choice . That being said I only accept dcks over the age of 15 months . So even if they aren't , everyone else is !

Expansive...
    It's a touchy subject for sure...when I had my first I decided NOT to vaccinate after doing lots of reading...but I changed my mind when DS turned 3 and so he and dd are fully vaccinated. So far I have not yet had any unvaccinated dc kids. I simply ask in the information/ consent forms " is your child following the recommended immunization schedule" they check yes or no and so far everyone is yes.

Considering the fact that there have been outbreaks recently due to unvaccinated children I don't think accepting an unvaccinated child would be a good idea IMO.

Euphoric !
    I am the same as Secondtimearound. I don't ask and usually only take children 12 months and up.