Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flip Flops

Euphoric !

Flip Flops

I was wondering if anyone has a policy about flip flops? This is something that bothers me enough that I changed my policy to ask for flip flops with backs only. I have noticed though that parents that have been here for some time still send ones without. I thought it was just me being anal but recently my daughter's pre-school newsletter included a note to parents to not send flip flops at all.

The reason it drives me nuts is because we spend a great deal of time outside. I just find that the kids have a hard time running, playing, kicking a ball all while trying to keep their shoes on. I don't care if they want to wear those kind of shoes at home/to the store but I just don't see why parents send flip flops (or fancy shoes for that matter) to daycare.

End of rant lol. anyone else have a flip flop policy?

Starting to feel at home...
    If I was staying open for the summer I was going to request closed toe sandals, for all the same reasons. I don't think it's anal, lol, I think it's just for safety.

Expansive...
    I don't have that in my Handbook but I think I am going to add it to prevent it from happening in the future. It's definitely a safety hazard and you are not being anal. Luckily I've never had it happen yet as everyone so far seems to get that flip flops are inappropriate for little ones!

Expansive...
    I have it in my parent policy handbook that flip flops are not allowed, that all footwear must be secured to the foot. I just sent out an email reminder to parents about a week ago reminding them of the summer weather requirements - hat, sunblock, footwear, etc.

I had a 6 year old boy last sumer that was sent one day, despite my policy, in flip flops and I spent half the day putting his shoes back on because he would climb up on the play structure or something and he shoes would fall off. I just told the mom straight out at pick up time that he couldn't wear them to daycare and told her why (nicely, of course).

I wouldn't even allow the flip flops with the back elastics, those don't stay on very good either. I tell parents that the shoes must be good for running, jumping and playing in all day.

Euphoric !
    I require closed toed sandals or running shoes for both inside and outside or bare feet or robeeze in the house. I allow crocs but only if they stay on the child's feet. We run, kick balls etc. and they need to be safe when climbing up the slide. Anyone without proper footwear gets to go outside but is not allowed to do certain things and then mom is told in front of child of why child is upset they missed out - usually child comes next day properly attired and don't care if child wanted to wear whatever - parent could have made sure the proper item was available to me to fight with child for outside which of course wouldn't have been a problem because child knows what to expect here.

Euphoric !
    I don't have a clothing policy but can certainly see why it would be beneficial!! For the most part, I have always had children sent in appropriate clothing and footwear but there is the odd parent or time that they have sent inappropriate stuff. I just discussed it when need be and resolved the problem. If I was finding that most of my group had this issue, I would just mention it in my monthly newsletters as well as talking to the parents in person so they understood my reasons. I'm about to write up my June newsletter and may make note of this. They all have running shoes for the most part though or the sandals with straps but you never know!!

Expansive...
    Closed-toe shoes only-no crocs or sandals or flip flops. Would prefer running shoes and closed- toe athletic sandals.

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping I wasn't just being anal. I hate telling people what to do but it just seems like more and more everyone is dressing their child for fashion and not practicality. I want to nip it in the butt now and fast. So far the kids have been sent in rubber boots and runners but now that the weather is turning much warmer summer shoes are appearing in back packs. I don't mind sandals as long as they have Velcro. I have just sent out my monthly newsletter asking that children have shoes appropriate for running and playing, no flip flops or slip on shoes. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the feedback.

Outgoing
    This is the first summer that I have requested that the parents not bring flip flops. I explained that we do water activities were it makes it dangerous to wear them. I do, however request that the parents bring sandals.

Euphoric !
    I cringe when I see little kids in flip flops. It makes no sense to me. But I can't stand them on my own feet so I'm biased! I don't have it in my policies but don't foresee it being an issue with my current families...they are very receptive to what I request so if they came in flip flops I'd talk with them and ask for more appropriate foot wear.

I did have my 18month old come with crocs...and I let mom know that we have pine trees out back and it's really not comfy to have shoes full of needles. She always sends her runners in her daughters bag if her daughter wears the crocs here. I don't much care for crocs either. I don't think most young children are bothered by wearing running shoes in the summer. They keep their toes protected, stay on the feet and are just safer!