Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oops!!

Euphoric !
    Lee bee, if you can find parents who agree to pay your holidays that is great! I would love paid holidays but I chose to open my hdc with the understanding that I was getting into the service industry and being self employed. I can't think of any self employed people who get paid holidays actually. IMO it doesn't matter what the service is, if it's not available than it shouldn't be charged for. I certainly wouldn't be paying for a service that was not available to me.

It has nothing at all with thinking I don't deserve it. I feel that every working person would love/deserve paid holidays but the reality is that many jobs don't offer this. There are benefits to every job though and I appreciate all the benefits I receive from owning a business that others who don't own a business don't get. If I wanted the benefits from working in a centre I would still be there. Working for someone else vs working for yourself will never be the same IMO.

All the power to you but please don't assume that those of us who don't charge for our holidays feel we aren't worth it. We just have different opinions on what being a business owner means.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I totally agree with 5LM! I am a business owner and therefore don't get paid when I close. I think we are lucky enough to be able to get stat holidays paid. We set our own contracts and if you can find parents willing to pay for your holiday time then great. I would love to do the same but I know it is not something that would work in my area. I want my spots filled so have to be competitive with those around me. As it is there are those who charge less or even offer the pay as you need care.

Just because we are looking after children doesn't mean our jobs are any more important than a lot of jobs out there. I agree we all deserve time off but when a family has to take time off (not everyone gets paid holidays) or pay for alternate care then why are we charging for our holiday time. It is just something I don't really think is fair (not that I wouldn't love paid time off and think I deserve it).

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thank you for the advice !!! Hmmm , so I better get saving $$ for my holidays then ! I have no idea what the dayhomes in my area do, but I'm thinking since I didn't address vacation pay in my contract it isn't fair to make up things as I go !!

Euphoric !
    Secondtimearound, I think that is a fair decision. If you do decide you want to ask for paid vacation, I would state that in your contract for future clients. You could tell your current parents it's changing but I would be worried that some would leave, especially if it's not common in your area. I think it's fine to change your rules and policies as you go and experience issues but I don't feel it's fair to be changing fee's and such after a family has signed on as one of the reasons many parents pick a specific dc is because the fee's fit into their budget. Of course this is just my opinion though!

This year I chose to take 2 one week periods off. It is a bit easier on the wallet whereas last year I took 2 weeks off and received no money for those 2 weeks. If I were to take 2 weeks off together again, I'd plan it so it was in between pay periods. I better start putting some money away as well....July and August will be here soon! Hard to believe!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I cannot imagine ANYONE paying me for ANY vacation...I charge them if they take any time off but no way that they would pay me while I am on vacation....though we do work for them and maybe deserve paid vacation...daycare centers do give 2 weeks vacation where parents don't pay

Euphoric !
    sandylynn--- NO NO NO NO NO !!! LOL we do not work for our families, we work for ourselves. LOL

It would be nice to get paid vacation but as business owner it isn't a possibility for me. I don't know any other provider's in my area who charge so to remain competitive it would not be a good idea.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    It gets confusing sandylynn !! I get that way too !! But then remember and correct myself ! Don't feel bad !!

Outgoing
    Hmmm....you are right mickyc...we work for OURSELVES...I STAND CORRECTED....lol....