Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Rate increases

Culiflower bread is super!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    It is one thing to have a personal perspective different to another person but what is healthy and what isn't healthy is not opinion, it is backed up by research and fact. Processed foods like hot dogs and nuggets are unhealthy, that is fact. If another person doesn't agree that they are unhealthy, they are still unhealthy and that person is just wrong.
    I guess we will just agree to disagree. I could serve my kids fresh fish fried in a lb of organic butter - homemade and organic but still not healthy. Like I said it is all personal perspective and there is nothing wrong with moderation. Each to their own. Sorry, I enjoy my "unhealthy" food too much to jump on your organic bandwagon. Anyways, last time I am posting on this topic.

Euphoric !
    They all supply their own sunscreen and as I have said a couple of times we only make crafts around themes. This isn't a case of not being able to afford to run my daycare but simply that as the cost of running it goes up the expense is not passed on in any portion to the parents, it is coming out of my pocket, my earnings.
    Yes I read that about crafts but I asked about gifts. I do a lot of baking with the children and will often send it home, I make up goody bags for various holidays such as valentines, Easter, Halloween etc, I buy birthday and Christmas gifts for the children and I make up a family basket of gifts when a family leaves. The amount of money I spend on these will sometimes vary if my extra cash fund is low at the time.

What specific costs have gone up that you are referring too? Knowing this will perhaps enable us to offer better suggestions. Some things go up in price but it won't always be up to the parents to pay for it if you know what I mean? For example, sometimes our cable/internet go up in price but I wouldn't necessarily raise my fees to cover that, instead I would decrease my package if I couldn't afford it anymore.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge__driver11 View Post
    Culiflower bread is super!
    I'd like to try cauliflower pizza crust. Have you and did you like it? I've tried mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes but it wasn't my cup of tea lol. Luckily I don't eat potatoes much anyways

Euphoric !
    Interesting reading. I'm on the side of home cooking with all fresh foods, never will KD touch the lips of my dckids in my home when 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of macaroni cooked for several minutes and mixed with shredded cheese is healthy, easy and delicious - and sodium-free! I answered several pages ago that I'm a partially organic daycare so I agree with a lot of brightsparks' posts. We have hot dogs once or twice a year, but we have sausages a couple times a month. When my children were small I thought buying the chicken weiners were healthier until my son bit into one and had a chicken feather in his mouth. ALL the chicken parts are in there, yuck!

I run weekly themes and we only make one craft/week to match the theme I'm teaching. I throw away all the coloured & painted pages usually to give the parents a break. I've cut way down from all the crafting we did when I was new at this.

As far as sunscreen, I buy organic - Green Beaver and I collect $5 from each family in the spring to buy the sunscreen for the season, one bottle at a time so they don't send in 5 different bottles. I'm loving this system.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well I'm a little late to the party here but I'll do my vest to just reply to the original question and not get into the debate of organic vs non..... It seems as though you have cut your costs as much as you can and the only thing left is the organic foods ..... I like the idea of a newsletter but I'm going to suggest that maybe you should ask the parents what they prefer .... Would they rather a $2/day increase to help with the rising food costs (I know this is not what you were originally looking for but its a start) or would they prefer you cut down on the organic foods .... Let them know you will go with the majority. If they choose to go with non organic products hopefully that will make it a little easier for you to adapt to as if will be what the parents want .... Just a though to maybe let you off the hook a bit Then a far as other utilities move your ac up a bit so it's not as cold in the house and in the winter drop your heat a bit and wear a sweater

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Have you heard people say that the cauliflower is the new kale? Last year everything was all about kale but this year its the cauli. I have seen so many recipes now for a cauliflower pizza crust!
    I haven't heard that cauliflower is the new kale, though I am definitely behind on the kale thing. I made kale chips in the oven last week and didn't really like it. I don't know if I cooked them too long, but they had a bitter after taste that wasn't very pleasant. But I had raw kale mixed with other greens in a salad and that was good.

I haven't tried cauliflower pizza crust, that is a new one. I have been making cauliflower mashed "potatoes" for a long time and recently made cauliflower "rice" with cilantro and lime juice that was really yummy. I will have to give the pizza crust a try, sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Yes I read that about crafts but I asked about gifts. I do a lot of baking with the children and will often send it home, I make up goody bags for various holidays such as valentines, Easter, Halloween etc, I buy birthday and Christmas gifts for the children and I make up a family basket of gifts when a family leaves. The amount of money I spend on these will sometimes vary if my extra cash fund is low at the time.

What specific costs have gone up that you are referring too? Knowing this will perhaps enable us to offer better suggestions. Some things go up in price but it won't always be up to the parents to pay for it if you know what I mean? For example, sometimes our cable/internet go up in price but I wouldn't necessarily raise my fees to cover that, instead I would decrease my package if I couldn't afford it anymore.
    So the cost of utilities meaning gas, hydro and water. I'm not talking about things that are not related to daycare. Cable is not part of daycare expenses. Also the cost of gas (fuel) has gone up tremendously over the last few years during which time I haven't raises my rates. I hardly ever take my kids out in the minivan anymore although I specifically lease my 8 seater for work. My husband pays my cheques in now so I don't make that trip and I have managed to get my insurance down nearly 100 a month. Gas, hydro and water rates go up annually and I can't imagine that being any different in other provinces. Property tax goes up but obviously that isn't effected by my daycare but I use a hell of a lot more of the above three for business use even though I am very concious of what times I use my washer and lights being left on etc etc.

@momof4 yes hotdogs are just parts. I have had friends ask me if organic hotdogs are okay and my response is always to see if you don't mind eating organic bum holes hahaha. My 13 year old has now started asking what things are made out of and is being much more concious of the quality of food she puts inside her when she is eating food that someone else has provided her. She does a lot of camping so the bulk of that food is horrific. That being said she is still always polite it would always try and make plans ahead.of time otherwise if something was in front of her she would either eat it or leave it but would pull her face or complain about it if there wasn't another choice for her. Thankfully I raised her right on this area because I stood to my guns and don't run a restaurant in my house but at the same time if I know my kids don't like a certain thing, and especially for these types of reasons, I won't force them to eat it.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 05-30-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Well I'm a little late to the party here but I'll do my vest to just reply to the original question and not get into the debate of organic vs non..... It seems as though you have cut your costs as much as you can and the only thing left is the organic foods ..... I like the idea of a newsletter but I'm going to suggest that maybe you should ask the parents what they prefer .... Would they rather a $2/day increase to help with the rising food costs (I know this is not what you were originally looking for but its a start) or would they prefer you cut down on the organic foods .... Let them know you will go with the majority. If they choose to go with non organic products hopefully that will make it a little easier for you to adapt to as if will be what the parents want .... Just a though to maybe let you off the hook a bit Then a far as other utilities move your ac up a bit so it's not as cold in the house and in the winter drop your heat a bit and wear a sweater
    I'd be happy with the $2 a day. It was all I was going to raise my rates by anyway. I like your suggestions on talking to the parents....thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7