Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insurance

Insurance

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some clarification. My daycare is opening very soon and I'm still sorting out insurance. As per previous threads here I want to make sure I know what I'm being covered for and had asked for a copy of the ryder to review. After several e-mails back and forth with my current home insurance provider, I got this response: "There are no wordings for the babysitting coverage. It just extends liability for up to 5 children, including your own, on your property only. It is an additional $150. What kind of things were you looking at for coverage?"

Can anyone help me? Should I have coverage while on outings as well or is only in your own home the norm? Do others have something in writing that specifies the coverage? Are there any more questions I should be asking to ensure I have the right coverage? I only have 1 child of my own for now and am only planning to take in a max. of 3 children, so I'm ok with the total number.

Thank you!

Euphoric !
    I pay $30 a year per child...for up to 5 daycare children. I don't pay for my own child as they live here and well, if she gets hurt I would not sue myself! So, if you have the option to pay per child make sure you do that and don't pay for your own!

Frankly I don't know what it covers exactly. We stay onsite so I didn't have to worry about outings. I don't know that home insurance would cover outings. The insurance is to cover any accidents that take place while in your daycare (which is your home). But, I really didn't look into it that much because I was under the understanding that there are only a few insurance companies that cover 5 children and I can't be that picky.

The insurance company did come out to inspect my daycare inside and out and they asked me a bunch of questions about my education and experience and all that.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am in BC and I pay about $80 per year. This covers up to two additional children (who are not my own) during the time they are under my care at my home or elsewhere. I also have additional auto insurance. Since I have a max of 2 I don't need anything else extra.
    My rider is also worded very generally like yours. I think that is the norm.