Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Deceptive interviews

I have been trying to fill a spot for quite a few months, and I run 9.5 hrs a day, and have a website for parents to look at before I schedule interviews. I also do phone interviews after they look at the website to see if we are a good fit, and to see what their needs are. After all of that, I let them come for a tour.
    I'm very frustrated with the last handful of interviews which tell me the hours they need over the phone, which fall within my hours, and then come for the interview and tell me they need longer hours than what I am open. I don't have the flexibility to adjust my closing time, as my kids are scheduled for extra curricular activities on most weekdays.
    How do you get them to be truthful from the beginning so I don't waste my time with interviews that don't fit with my criteria?
    It's driving me crazy!

Shy
    I think you are doing all that you can, have you tried stating at the phone interview that your closing time is not flexible and only accept families that have a pick up time prior to x o'clock? I guess some people feel that maybe once you meet them then you are going to change your rules for them be use they are that awesome...or maybe they think we are all desperate for clients that we will take any family. I feel your frustration but the right family is just around the corner.

Euphoric !
    On your website, I would clearly state drop off and pick up times are not flexible. When you discuss the hours they need during the phone call make sure to reiterate that your operating hours are not open negotiation. If you have a late fee make sure it's high so they know you mean business.

Expansive...
    The website states the hours are not flexible,as well as I say it on the phone, and they know my late fees are very steep, but it continues to happen. I'm stumped and sick of spending time on people that I have no interest in accepting.

Euphoric !
    That is frustrating for sure then! Not sure how else to get it across without being extremely blunt lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry you have had a run of dishonest families, but keep the faith and keep trying. Extensive pre-screening will save you a lot of time interviewing people who don't match your needs and I'm glad to see that you do that. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm wondering if maybe ou state the question as, what are your work hours? Instead of what hours would you be using at daycare. Then ask where they live and ask about their commute time so you can figure out their hours over the phone pre-interview.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    In my handbook it says *my time with my family is important to me, so please respect my hours*. Typically after reading that, and seeing my late fees it sets them straight. And I do send out my Handbook BEFORE the interview over email to make sure they agree with policies etc.

I know how frustrating it is though and I've been there too where I do lots of pre screening and somehow during the interview it comes up that they want longer hours...really frustrating but I was also talking to some friends who are currently interviewing providers and they said that every single time they have talked over the phone and asked for longer hours the caregiver has said yes so it sounds like there may be lots of caregivers out there who ARE flexible despite their advertised hours and it gives the wrong impression and parents assume we are ALL flexible.