Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Not Changing Diapers

Grrrr. Second day in a row! I have a dcd that drops off his 18 month old dcg with a FULL diaper. I dont mean a wet diaper, I mean leaking from the sides, pants wet full. Yesterday, I did not notice until diaper change time because it was just pee and did not smell, but when I laid her down, her pants were wet. Today, she came in with a poop, so I changed her right away, sure enough, her diaper was SOAKED and the poop seeped out the sides, staining her pants. I have a feeling the dad does not change her dropping her off. I mentioned it yesterday to the mom, basically just stating that the reason she was in different clothes was because she was soaked through....what else can I say without straight out staying your husband is not changing diapers, and sounding rude?

Euphoric !
    It is a tough situation. You can either be totally honest with mom and say that you don't think child is being changed before coming or just not say anything and just change the diaper when the child gets dropped off.

Euphoric !
    I would say something because I wouldn't want the poor child to get diaper rash or to have to experience that daily. Gross and unnecessary! The odd time it's understandable if the child poops in the car on the way but to be in a diaper like that for too long is neglect IMO

Expansive...
    You could try and make it casual at first and say " wow dcg's diapers sure have been full in the am lately, does she drink a lot of fluids after waking up" and see how that goes?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking that the child is brought in a fresh diaper prior to coming to daycare. If they are puzzled and ask why you bring it up then just mention that there have been a number of occasions when the child has arrived with such a full diaper that it is overflowing. Nothing awful about saying that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

A lot of providers (myself included) have it in my policy and contract book that all children must arrive in a clean diaper. I would check at hand off in the morning drop off. If the child is in a leaky, poop filled diaper..I would direct the DCD or DCM to my changing table.

That is unacceptable and they are shrugging off their responsibilities on to you. The child is probably being brought in their overnight diaper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

So I mentioned it to dcm again today at pick up and she said that she would talk to her husband 'if I wanted her to'. She said that she thinks that she is changing her in the morning, but he may be being lazy and that she knows that she when she was home with her, her high pee times were the morning.

This is also the dcd that continues to drops her off with what I suspect is no breakfast, when I clearly state that breakfast is served ONLY served at 6am and she is dropped at 7:45.

This is also the dcd that is suppose to be dropping off at 8:20 and is instead dropping of at 7:45.

I have mentioned this all to her and she has said that she will talk to him, as he is like a man-child. I am hoping that because it is their second week, they are still adjusting to the new schedule.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I think a discussion with the dad must be had. One wet diaper now and then or if the child poops in the car- I would let go but a soggy diaper everyday, not giving her breakfast and coming half an hour early are things I would absolutely not let go. And speak to the mother at pick up too, so that both parent are in the same pag and can't say they didn't know

I had a family like this, not exactly the same issues, but still issues that bothered me. I let it go too long and it got to the point where it was really awkward to bring it up. I would just mention it to them now, as opposed to waiting like I did, lol. I do require kids to come prepared for the day (dressed, fed and clean diaper) and would have no problem turning them away and/or getting the parents to change them before leaving.

"Dcd, I see that you are arriving earlier than your scheduled drop offs. Do we need to adjust your contracted times to an earlier drop off (which costs X amount extra)? Alternatively: I have no problem having dcg arrive earlier on occasion but please remember I do require 24 hour notice plus the early drop off fee of $xxx. As well, just a reminder that dcg needs to have breakfast before arrival and be in a clean diaper. If she has not eaten and/or has a soiled diaper, I will have to ask you to take her home for her breakfast and/or change her before leaving her in my care."

I think Dad probably is just not realizing how much stuff like this can throw off the morning in a group setting. (I also think transitioning parents is the worst part of the job.)

Euphoric !
    I've had a few parents come in and say their child has pooped on the way over and say they will change their child. I always say no that's fine, I can do it. I find it balances itself out when the odd time they go home in a wet diaper from being outside at the end of the day. I keep diapers and wipes in the shed because I don't feel it's fair to keep a child in a dirty diaper but I know I have sent them home wet before if a parent picks up early.

Hopefully dad realizes how gross it is for his child to be in a diaper like this daily. How did today go?