Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playroom redo

Outgoing

Playroom redo

I've found myself looking for inspiration lately regarding all things childcare, and thought a quick/easy redo of our playroom/daycare room might help me spice it up enough.

I've rearranged our playroom to try to maximize space, and am going to purchase a couple of small tables for the kids to do crafts/puzzles at. Among a few other things...

Does anyone have any fav ikea finds for playroom/crafting?!? I'm trying to plan it out so I don't get sucked into the vortex of spending, shame and regret that will happen if I don't go in with a list!

Euphoric !
    I alternate between having the play room very open/room to run and play/use the shopping carts and strollers and than placing things so that the room is split up into sections (library, small toys, kitchen area etc) which eliminates the "crazy/silly" behaviour that open rooms tend to bring on!

I used to have a small childrens table and than booster seats on kitchen chairs and highchairs. I have since eliminated all of that and bought an IKEA coffee table for $30 and their kritter chairs for $20 each. I love it!! It is so nice to do art at because it is a wider coffee table and would easily accommodate up to 6 children. It is the perfect height for me too. I can either sit on a small child's chair (I have metal ones, not sitting my big butt on the plastic ones lol) but I normally just sit on the floor and am the right height to help out when needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I've got nothing helpful. Hopefully someone else does, because I spend way too much time and money if I ever go to Ikea. I will be watching this thread for good ideas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I used to have a small childrens table and than booster seats on kitchen chairs and highchairs. I have since eliminated all of that and bought an IKEA coffee table for $30 and their kritter chairs for $20 each. I love it!! It is so nice to do art at because it is a wider coffee table and would easily accommodate up to 6 children.

Do you remember what silly ikea name your coffee table had (probably something with three k's?) by any chance? I was going to get a couple of the smaller tables, but I already have a couple of the kritter chairs so your idea might work too.

And I have my playroom split up too. It makes me feel a bit claustrophobic, but yes, prevents them running from one side to the other, crashing into each other as they go.

Euphoric !
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40104294/

It's this one. My fiancé took the bottom shelf and cut it in 3 and made shelves for me on the wall. It's super light, easy to clean, love it!

Haha, yes claustrophobia happens! Right now I have it open and a little boy ran to the library rack, tripped and banged up his lip pretty good!! I can't help but to wonder if it would have happened 2 weeks ago when I had the room set up to discourage running

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Using the Ikea wooden spice racks as book shelves is something I really like.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/03/r...okshelves.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Hahahahaha, "spending, shame and regret". Nailed it!

I am a big fan of centres. I have some main areas that stay mostly the same (imagination area includes the dress up stuff, dolls, kitchen, etc; and the circle time space) and then I have a few tables set up that I rotate the items featured. A month or two, they might have the dollhouse and accessories, or a tub of action figures, or ponies, or... you get the idea.
    Having said that, I am always open to ideas. I am a re-arranger, so I am moving stuff around constantly.