Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Father's day gift ideas?

Any great ideas for father's day crafts that are different from the standard picture frames or handprint ideas? Thanks in advance.

Euphoric !
    We're making our own, homemade BBQ spice rub and putting it in little jars from the dollar store. The kids will also colour the labels for the jars. Last year I bought cheap flip flops and put their little foot prints in them with fabric paint and #1 Dad. One mum cried when she saw them drying

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

I bought some glass coffee mugs from the dollar store, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, let the kids paint them with 4 colours of Americana multi surface paint (michaels) let set for 4 days then bake at 350 for 1/2 an hour. Put glass in when oven is heating and then when baking is done leave glass to cool in oven with the door open (and oven off) The kids painted theirs today and they look awesome. Also, put some tape around the rim so the kids don't paint it (where mouth would sip) I did a test mug and put in dishwasher on top rack and it came out with the paint on so baking makes it dishwasher safe.
    Take tape off right after you paint it. Do not bake with tape on

Euphoric !
    We did the homemade bbq marinade last year. It worked well and tasted good. I've also done the painted mugs (never thought to do the tape thing mimi, will try to remember that for next time!!) but I used cheap dollarama permanent markers and it faded when I baked them. I've also done the "I love you to pieces" and filled the jar with reese's pieces and had them decorate the jars with stickers. We've also done the bird houses from dollarama that they painted.

I think this year I am going to make cards that look like hammers and get the kids to decorate them. I am going to look at walmart cuz I thought I saw kids baseball gloves with a ball for $5. I thought I would get them to put their handprint (ya I know, another handprint lol) on the ball and attach a cute note saying "You're the best "catch" for a daddy" and have them decorate the note.

Some of these have been pinterest ideas and some have been my own and some are a mix of both! lol

Outgoing
    I haven't figured out an actual kid-made craft yet. I really like the flip flops idea. So far I bought wooden letters and painted them a bright colour. I asked all the mothers to dress their kids in nice clothes for pictures. I had a friend coming over with her little girl one morning and asked her to be a second set of eyes for me while I took pictures of each kid in the front yard. The plan was for me to take two pictures with the letter D and one with the A, and then find a cute way to put them together. My friend actually did all the picture taking for me and she's editing them onto one picture. She is about to start a photography business and is going to use this to help get her name out there. So that worked out better than I could have asked for.

Last year I got a clear plastic (2 sided) dollar store frame and had the kids hold signs that said "I love Daddy" and the other side said "my daddy loves me" It was really cute. Make lots of copies of the signs as the little ones like to scrunch them up.

Euphoric !
    that sounds really adorable superfun and mimi! I love picture gifts and I know almost every parent does as well

Expansive...
    I bought some little birdhouses from the dollar store and we are going to paint those and most likely make some handprint type card to go with it. I'm all for keeping things simple and I usually prefer something where the KIDS do all the work and not me...I figure the kids will LOVE painting the birdhouses...lots of really awesome ideas on here that I might use for next year tho!

Expansive...
    On a white board I am writing fill in the blank questions about their dad. Like -My dad is ______ years old. His favourite colour is __________. I love my dad because ___________.

I will ask the kids the questions and write the answers for them, or get them to print it themselves. Then I will take a picture of them with the completed white board.

my sister's daycare did this and it got some pretty precious and hilarious answers.

I will probably get them to make and decorate some type of frame for the picture to go in.

Euphoric !
    We are doing painted ceramic mugs as well. I also wanted to do a spice rub or BBQ sauce but I am thinking we won't get to those things. I like the idea Amanda has...might do this.