Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How would you handle this dilemma?

Ok, ladies, I have a dilemma.

I have 2 dck's that will be leaving in the next few months...one will leave the end of school and the other will be going to a different school in the fall.

So, I met this mom at the school, who I've been talking to about care. She has 2 kids, a boy whose in jk and a baby girl. Originally she said she was going back to work around July, but now she says she can start a position within the next few weeks.

My dilemma is : do I fill the spots that I would need to fill in the next few months anyway or do I tell her no and keep the other kids and fill the spots then?

I'm torn because in order to take these new ones, I would have to give the others their notice early. What would you do if you were me?

Euphoric !
    Are you terming them or are they leaving due to school changes?

If they are leaving by their own choice, then in my mind, you do not have open spaces at this moment and the new mom will have to go on the waiting list.

The one dck is leaving because mom is having twins in July, the other is starting jk at another school.

I'm just afraid that when the time comes for them to leave, I won't be able to find 2 kids to fill their spots......and the mom will find other care.

Euphoric !
    I think it's just a risk that I would take as it's part of the job. I don't term one client because a better one comes along but that is just me and what I would do. I depend largely on word of mouth and I wouldn't want parents scared to come here because they've heard I term early to fill potential empty spots. I appreciate when parents give me lots of notice of them leaving but I wouldn't want them worried that I term them before they are ready to go. Hope that makes sense

It's a tricky one and I can see what 5LM is saying but don't necessarily agree....

5LM you mention...
    I don't term one client because a better one comes along
    That isn't what is happening here and I too do not do this.

also...
    I wouldn't want parents scared to come here because they've heard I term early to fill potential empty spots
    This would make sense, but in this particular instance, they aren't potential spots, these children ARE leaving.

If the tables were turned and the provider was expecting and gave a lengthy amount of notice, a huge amount if not the majority of parents would look for a replacement daycare provider and would leave as soon as they found an open spot, out of fear of not finding a suitable placement closer to the time. This makes good sense when the parent is looking out for THEIR best interests even if it leaves the provider suddenly down on numbers. It sucks but they have to look after their best interests not the other way around. I see this situation as similar.

Looking out for the best interests of your business should be your number one priority. I understand word of mouth is important, but you aren't giving notice because someone with shorter hours comes along, or you can charge a higher rate etc you are advertising to fill spots that are coming up and are faced with the option of replacing a family earlier, who are now a short term family, with someone who is more long term and from a business perspective are more financially sound as best as anyone can predict. They will provide you with more financial stability and certainty, versus the possibility of not filling those spots later on down the line which is when you may kick yourself.

I don't have a sure yes or no on what I would do. It would depend greatly on the individuals involved, my financial situation and my gut feeling.

I would speak to the Mom and ask her if she would be able to find alternate care sooner. I've always been able to speak freely to my parents regarding these types of things and they have always been accommodating as much as they can. JMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I personally wouldn't drop the 2 families early to take on this family. It just seems wrong to me. I would continue to advertise for the spaces for when they open up. You should have more than enough time to find a family for a July and a September spot. I can understand ending your contract a week or two before their intended end date for a new family but you are looking at ending the contract 4 and 6 months early which just seems to early to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What I dont understand is why the mom having twins in July is taking her kid out ? Isn't she going to have her hands full enough as it is without having to entertain an older child ? I have two moms currently on mat leave and one that just came back then one that just came back kept the older child in full time until the baby was was three months old and then switched to part time .... One of the two moms on mat leave now kept the older child full time till baby was 5 months and is now on part time and the other one who just had her baby this morning says she is keeping him in full time ... Why not suggest to the mom to keep older child in for several months at least to get some rest ... Not that there will be much resting with twins ....
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 04-07-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    It's a tricky one and I can see what 5LM is saying but don't necessarily agree....

5LM you mention... That isn't what is happening here and I too do not do this.

also... This would make sense, but in this particular instance, they aren't potential spots, these children ARE leaving.

If the tables were turned and the provider was expecting and gave a lengthy amount of notice, a huge amount if not the majority of parents would look for a replacement daycare provider and would leave as soon as they found an open spot, out of fear of not finding a suitable placement closer to the time. This makes good sense when the parent is looking out for THEIR best interests even if it leaves the provider suddenly down on numbers. It sucks but they have to look after their best interests not the other way around. I see this situation as similar.

Looking out for the best interests of your business should be your number one priority. I understand word of mouth is important, but you aren't giving notice because someone with shorter hours comes along, or you can charge a higher rate etc you are advertising to fill spots that are coming up and are faced with the option of replacing a family earlier, who are now a short term family, with someone who is more long term and from a business perspective are more financially sound as best as anyone can predict. They will provide you with more financial stability and certainty, versus the possibility of not filling those spots later on down the line which is when you may kick yourself.

I don't have a sure yes or no on what I would do. It would depend greatly on the individuals involved, my financial situation and my gut feeling.
    I totally get that we need to look out for our businesses best interest but imo, in the long run, this would do more harm than good. It is getting rid of one client to take on one that better suits the dcprovider in my eyes so yes it's terming because something better came along. All of the children will eventually leave our care so terming to accept a new one isn't right to me. But we all run our dc's differently.

As far as dcp becoming pregnant...I see your point but don't agree. Parents will have to leave because the dc is closing and have no other choice but to find another dc. We all know that children will leave our care but there are always other children needing dc. Sometimes it may take longer to fill a spot but that's a risk we all should have considered before choosing to open a hdc imo.

Op, all I can say is do what feels right to you! I try to put myself in others shoes and try to think how I would feel if i was the parent and my dcp did this to me after I was considerate and gave months of notice so she could fill the spot.

I agree with a lot of what others are saying. I had to let go of an awesome family last January. It was under different circumstances. They were two b/a care kids. I had plans to open my hdc a few months down the road but both my husband and I lost our jobs and I needed to open my daycare asap. Financially, I had to fill all spots full-time. I had no idea I was going to fill my spots so fast, I was lucky. So I made the decision to let them go to fill their spot. I felt HORRIBLE but it made sense. The parents pulled their kids out for about 2 months because dcd lost his job, I had no idea when or if they were coming back. During this time I lost my job, I was advertising like crazy! I filled my spots about 3 weeks after they came back. Now for me, I felt like it was the best 'business' decision because I needed the income, it was hard but a no brainer. I don't regret my choice but I do miss those girls and still wish I could have kept them.

In your post my you mention she might have a job opening in July. So she might not. I would be very honest with her and tell her that your spots are not open until the XX date. Because she might make the decision to go back earlier thinking the spots are open now. I'm sure if she knows, she will postpone it until then. If she can't she will tell you and then make the decision. I think its too early to stress over it. But if she is going back, and cant wait, maybe she can find someone to watch them until your spots are open. It's a tough decision but if I were in your shoes i wouldn't let the other families go earlier. But that's just me. I would try and work something out with all families involved.

Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post: