Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

I have a crier. What to do?

New little guy started and he cries all the time. I cant console hime, he just cries. well its almost as much screaming as it is crying. He plays while he's crying. He cries if i leave the room. Hes 14 months and im doing everything i can think of but he just cries. He does stop for short periods but i cant figure out what sets him off. He seems comfortable enough with me, wants to sit with me but I cant hold him long when he's screaming. My ears are literally hurting. Mom is on board to do whatever she can to help but Im not sure what she could do. Any suggestions.

Euphoric !
    I had one like this, 24/7 crying for exactly 2 weeks! Sometimes the only thing that you can do is give it time. How long have you had him?

Euphoric !
    Let him cry! I find most kids when starting cry especially when they haven't been away from mom much. Just let him cry and carry on with your day as if he wasn't crying. If he hasn't stopped in a couple weeks then consider that it might not be a good fit. I once terminated a boy after 3 days. He screamed like someone was killing him from the second mom dropped off until I called her half way through nap to pick up. He wouldn't eat or sleep. I managed 3 days and just couldn't stand it anymore (all the kids were walking around covering their ears).

Good luck to you.

Outgoing
    I am always relieved when I hear the relief the two week mark brings- I am waiting for that I am on day 3 with a new child. She has a loud cry-but she does have moments where she is okay, she doesn't cry all day just intermittently.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daycare123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also find that being as predictable and routine as possible greatly speeds things up. They are overwhelmed with the sudden changes in life...the faster they learn the routine the easier it is for everyone. If they are really upset in the early days I skip outside time and try to stay on the main daycare area until they settle in...adding the transitions and new environment of going outside just adds more stress.

Some kids need you to be near them and some kids need you to be farther away so they can watch from afar. Figure out what the child seems to prefer. Sadly, sometimes completely ignoring the crying and not even looking their way is what calms them the most. It usually only lasts a few day then they settle in and can start to interact more.

Good luck!! I always stock up on chocolate...lots and lots of chocolate for nap time (for me).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Gramma, you didn't mention how long this has been going on, but I'm sure you know that all children take a different amount of time to transition. I've had crying last 2-4 months before it stops altogether. However, I have one very spoiled little boy who has been with me almost 2 years and still cries every day. I'm sorry, but it's absolutely ridiculous and I wish I had terminated him a very long time ago. So you have to find your breaking point, your line in the sand, your last straw and that is different for all of us. But we all deserve to be happy and remember that nonstop crying is very stressful for all the other children, not just for us.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.