Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Ontario Elections

So...wondering who watched the debate and what your thoughts were? I haven't watched it yet....hoping I can get it on demand. Is anyone saying anything to their daycare parents about the Liberal government and Bill 143? I'm debating if I should send out an email or what not. What are you all doing?

Outgoing
    I watched it and honestly it was a joke! None of the leaders answered the questions directly. Wynne was asked 4 times why she signed the gas plant relocation papers instead of telling McGuinty - " No" and she refused to answer. Nothing was mentioned about Bill 143, but Horvath did touch on her plan to improve child care and education.

Euphoric !
    On the very last question Hudak did mention something about education and childcare and while nothing positive it was the only mention I heard. For Horvath the education claim got lost as it was in a list of things they would spend money on but no specifics ie daycare centres which is their norm vice home daycare.

Expansive...
    There was a good conversation about the election on the FB group. I was surprised to see that not all providers are voting PC....since from what I have read they are the only party who oppose Bill 143....I guess I was wondering if anyone is sending out an email or in some way attempting to gently inform their clients on where the parties stand with Bill 143...I don't want to tell them who to vote for or anything but keep wondering if I should say anything...

I don't think it's necessary to bring this up with daycare parents. We don't ACTUALLY have any facts to give them. Yes it is in the works but I don't see the point in worrying then with a bunch of maybes at this point. Finding good daycare is a stressful thing as it is without adding to that with uncertainties. Yes this bill effects them as well as us but until we have some real facts on what is going to happen for sure, I think it would serve them better if we didn't scare them and get them shaken up. The media does a good enough job at this without us adding to it based on a bill still not entirely clear on what WILL happen.

On a side note, I can't vote as I'm only a PR not a Canadian citizen but I did get a chuckle out of the signs in my town saying "vote anyone but hudak" lol

Expansive...
    It's hard to decide how to vote from family to family because while one way may affect our jobs, another might affect our spouse's. Sometimes it's lose-lose, as is the case with my husband and I. It will be interesting to see how and when Bill 143 will play out.

Outgoing
    There's still so much misinformation out there about bill 143; a lady posted an ad on kijiji 2 days ago searching for new daycare for her 2-year-old starting in August "because her current daycare won't be able to take him past July because of the new law." I emailed her and explained that for now, the bill has been tanked, and can only come into effect IF the liberals are elected again, and IF they decide to try to push it through again in it's current form, and IF the other parties agree, it passes three readings, and gets made into law. Those are a lot of IFS and certainly there will be nothing happening before August! She asked for a link to give to her provider - the provider actually thought the bill was becoming law in August, for some unknown reason. It was bizarre.

I'm not planning on saying anything to my daycare parents, they already know about the bill and how it will affect me, and therefore their daycare situation, but that's not the only factor in play, for me or them. I went online and looked up the platforms of all three main parties, and none were clear with regards to home daycare. The NDP was the only one that mentioned childcare on their main platform page, saying they want to inject a one-time payment of $100 million into childcare to keep open a number of childcare centers that are in danger of closing, but the platform didn't mention any revamp of childcare laws, just wanting to keep open those centers. The Conservative platform is all about "millions of new jobs" and the only thing I could find about children was improving standardized test scores in science and math, nothing about childcare.

Anyone found anymore statements from the parties on home daycare specifically? As of now, I have too many other concerns about the Liberals and the Conservatives to vote any way other than NDP.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Crazyeight, I agree with you about all the misinformation and facebook groups were created and the subject beaten to death when we don't, nor did we ever, have a clue what will happen. Now look, it's gone away for a while. I have heard of people changing their daycare around in anticipation of the changes, but I just decided months ago not to worry and conduct my business as usual. I have signed on 3 new babies this year so I will have 4 under the age of 2 by Sept. Was I worried? Yes, a bit. Does this mean I won't be voting Liberal. Honestly, yes. I have to look out for us by voting anything but Liberal. That's how I see it.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.