Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Turning down request for spots??

I have some school age spots that I had been advertising to fill for the summer. I just got an email from a parent that has already contacted me on two separate occasions in the last year for spots. Last spring she was supposed to take two spots, then backed out just before she paid the deposit (I believe because she didn't get the job she was hoping for). Then a few months later she contacted me again and I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and arranged a meeting - which she never showed up to and I never heard from her from her again.

So how do I respond back her to? I have no intention of taking her kids after what happened before. I really don't want to take on flaky families.

I really want to say that I won't be able to offer her any spots because of her no shows before, but it is important to me to be very professional. I can't just say the spots are full because I am posting ads for the spots.

I would send an email like this:

Dear X,

Hello, thank you so much for your interest in my program. I see that you have contacted me before, and at that time we had booked an appointment or two to meet, and it appears that those appointments did not meet your needs.

Although I can appreciate your desire to meet with quality daycare's in the area, I regret to inform you that I will not be booking an interview with you and your family at this time.

Best of luck in your search for great care.

Sincerely,

Amanda
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 06-04-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    What about if you said the spots were taken pending families dropping off their deposit. And you'll contact her if something changes? That way is won't look weird that you're still advertising, and you never actually have to contact her again. She'll assume eventually the other family dropped off a deposit.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would tell her that at this time you have a few other meetings lined up but if they don't work out then you will contact her. Or you can be honest and say that you don't think that you will be a good fit and thank her for her interest in your daycare and good luck with her search.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What kind of response would you get if you said "Thank you for your continued interest in my home daycare but since you didn't come the last time we set up a visit I see no sense in setting a new time. If your needs change please let me know."

It is blunt, gets your annoyance out there but ends with saying something to the effect of if you get your act together and think you can be a responsible parent for once we can talk. Where it goes after that is well up to you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I would probably do something similar to what superfun suggested. This way you aren't outright saying you don't want them because of the previous experience. If you did tell her the truth I would be concerned of her bad mouthing you and turning others off your daycare. Not that she would but I don't have much faith in the honesty and goodness in people these days.

Euphoric !
    The problem with saying the spots are taken is that they aren`t and she needs to continue advertising meaning the parent may continue to call. What is there to badmouth about on the part of the parent - it is the provider that could badmouth the parent to her other daycare friends about how rude their behaviour was.

Euphoric !
    I would hope a parent wouldn't talk badly about you for being honest and telling her the truth. However, it takes all kind for the world to go 'round and you just never know what people are like, especially when they feel rejected or not respected. ( not saying you are doing this to her tho!)

The problem with bad mouthing is that it doesn't have to be true for people to believe it.

Starting to feel at home...
    Do you think these people know that they have contacted you before? Do you know them personally?

I had a family that did this 3 times. The first time she kept putting me off and I filled the spot. Oh well. The second time she told me that the program wasn't a good fit for her son. Fair enough. Then she contacted me again. I reminded her of who I was, etc. She still was interested but now she only wanted pt. I told her my pt rates. She said "I would never pay a home daycare that much." The kicker: she lives up the street from me. Awesome.

So as much as I really wanted to say something to her (or a few things, lol), I refrained.

BUT, sometimes these people just need to be told. And if you feel that is the case, I really like playfelt's response and would embellish it a bit.

"Dear Flaky Parent,

Thank you for your continued interest in my program, however due to the fact that you have not showed to our previously scheduled interviews, I am reluctant to set up another. I am interested in filling my spaces with families who are prepared to commit to them at this point. Thank you again and good luck with your childcare search.

Sincerely,
    Daycare Lady who has wasted enough time"

Or something similar

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    I like nschildcare's response!