Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Montessori HOME Daycare

Anyone run a Montessori program from their home daycare?

Euphoric !
    I don't personally but I know a caregiver that does and has taken the various Casa levels of instruction. She also homeschools her own two children. Several daycares in my area say they use montessori techniques. If you look at it many of us do in the way we present activities even if they are only loosely compare to the programmed activities of montessori. I do like looking at what montessori offers as a guideline to some of what I do.

Starting to feel at home...
    No I don't run a Montessori program, however I have reviewed it as well as the Waldorf and Reggio Emilia methods. For me personally, I've borrowed a little bit from the Reggio Emilia method. I prefer their methods more that Montessori, just because it's less teacher directed and more of a collaboration between teacher and child. I also think there's more room for children to express creativity, less ridged, and allows for more spontaneous behavior...but that's just my own opinion.

Euphoric !
    A combination of those methods is seen in the emergent curriculum concept in the sense of making the learning fit the interests of the children and what is age appropriate for them. I love having a large collection of books and files on my computer meaning if we see something interesting on tv or in a book ex. Are we there yet goes to a dinosaur dig or Bob the Builder makes a windmill. I can then get a book on the topic and print a picture to colour to go with the topic. We can then extend it with toys, supplies, whatever we have on hand and then continue it the next day if interest is still there.