Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye all!

Outgoing

Goodbye all!

I just wanted to write a quick post and say good-bye to everyone! As many of you know, I am pregnant, registered for Employment Insurance benefits for self-employed people last year. I have decided to close my daycare and use this time to relax before our new baby arrives, and focus on my own children. I am working on a new business plan and doubt that I will re-open my daycare after my maternity benefits end.

I am so thankful for all of the support that I've received through this forum, for all of your thoughtful suggestions, for your kind words when I thought I was going to crumble into a sobbing heap in the middle of the kitchen floor, and your beautiful words of support when I had a miscarriage earlier this year.

I learned a lot about myself throughout the duration of my daycare, namely that I love owning my own business but that I need to be part of something that offers more opportunity for socializing with adults. I also learned to stand up for myself and put myself and my family first - that we are the only people to whom I owe anything. My biggest issue throughout this venture is that my work/life balance was waaay off. The hours of this job are so long, and the needs of my family so pressing, that I found I had nothing left to give myself at the end of the day (except sleep). I lost part of myself as I had to give up the things I love to meet the needs of everyone around me. This led me to be short tempered with my daycare kids and my own children, to over-eat and gain weight to compensate, and to take my stress out on my partner repeatedly. Not my finest moments but it is all about learning in this life and when I really think about it, this had been one of the most enlightening experiences of my life.

When I was preparing my documents in the planning stages of my daycare I conducted plenty of research on here and learned to determine what works best for me in terms of routine, rate, hours, etc. and to be firm in setting those expectations. I have to say that is the most valuable advice I received as it allowed me to keep some control over the very long days and subsequent weeks.

It has been said before but I truly believe that all of you are such special people. It takes so much to open your home and your heart to these little ones every day and the rewards are sometimes few and far between.

You are inspirational!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Wow your post is so moving gravy_train! I know I won't do this forever either and I look forward to being in your shoes and closing up shop although daycare definitely has / is teaching me a LOT. I agree it takes a lot to do this and only WE truly understand this. I wish you all the best in your new venture and with the new baby!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks Fun&Care - what do you think is next for you?

Expansive...
    I am a super crazy analytical person with immense attention to detail and I LOVE planning (my favorite part of doing daycare was the planning and setting up stage) I LOVED school projects as a kid because again, I loved planning and putting everything together SO I have been looking into Event Planning and Management. I would love to do this free lance or on a self employed basis. I have no idea if I want to get a diploma for that or what but I will figure that out at some point. I most likely will do daycare for another 1-2 years until my youngest is in school. The one thing that daycare has taught me is that I will probably NEVER go back to working for someone. I adore being self employed and calling the shots!

Outgoing
    Event management sounds fun - especially when your kids are a bit older. It would be nice to get to a point where you could delegate and have staff doing the dirty work for you.

Euphoric !
    Goodbye Gravy! I have enjoyed your contributions immensely. You have always struck me as someone very "real" if you know what I mean (in a fake internet kinda way ). Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Like you, I am in this for the short term and really enjoy working for myself. Not sure what is next for me, hopefully have another kid, a move out of Toronto to a cheaper house near my family and become a stay at home mom for a few years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Take me with you
    * grabs ankles of GravyTrain

Reading how you are leaving makes me a little wistful. You are right - that we put waaaay too many hours into the daycare. I know I sacrifice my family and self also.

You will be missed but wishing you all the best with your baby and your new journey

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

What will u be doing instead gravy?

Expansive...
    I'll miss you Gravy!!!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Wow, what a wonderful, thoughtful, sweet post you wrote Gravytrain and you really are wise to weigh the pros and cons and do what is best for you and your family in the long run. Daycare certainly isn't the easy job some people think it is! But good luck with your new baby and thank you for your words of wisdom over the past few years. We all learn from each other when we keep an open mind and I truly appreciate all the good ideas and insights that I learn from others on a day to day basis.

On a side note, my daughter, who has 4 boys, has been taking a medical transcription course so that she can work at home and she is loving it. There are lots of options out there if you find them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: