Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Front seat illegal?

Does anyone know if it is actually illegal in Ontario for a child in a booster seat to ride in the front seat of a vehicle with the air bag turned off? The Transport Canada website says it is safer for children under 12 to ride in the back, but it doesn't say they have to by law.

I was reading about it recently. I believe, or from what I could surmise (it's very cloudy), it isn't illegal per se, but if you get into an accident and the child is injured, you could have criminal charges against you for endangering the child.

Euphoric !
    Well, I would never put a daycare child in the front seat, but I will be picking my own son up from preschool a few blocks away (we can walk when weather is good, but we will drive when it is too cold, etc) and am wondering if I can put him in the front for that short ride. I wouldn't put him there for any other outings, but it is literally a three minute drive down quiet streets. I just don't want to do anything illegal!

Expansive...
    Even with the airbag turned off those thigs have been known to deploy! Don't take the risk!

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    Does anyone know if it is actually illegal in Ontario for a child in a booster seat to ride in the front seat of a vehicle with the air bag turned off? The Transport Canada website says it is safer for children under 12 to ride in the back, but it doesn't say they have to by law.

Starting to feel at home...
    Its not illegal that I'm aware of I do it as there not enough seats usually for short distances and not on highways. You may want to check what your booster seat manual says(because I believe if you don't follow the manufacturers instructions thats illegal) I believe some of them say don't use in front seat. Make sure you put the seat all the way back. I just realized you said the airbag can be turned off then that is totally fine just double check the booster seat but I'm pretty sure the manual I saw said with active airbag.

It is not illegal, as some trucks do no have backseats (one my dads drive a truck like this). The airbag needs to be off and the seat installed as per the manual. If you have an early years centre near you they have really good classes on carseat safety and installation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waterloo day mom For This Useful Post:

I'm assuming if your son is a pre-schooler that he's less than 4 years old. Even if he meets the minimum 40lbs for boostering, kids his age are not booster ready. Most kids are ready for boosters around 5 or 6 years old. If your son is younger than that he should probably be riding in a 5pt harness and not a booster, especially in the front seat even with airbags off.

Quote Originally Posted by CPST_Manda View Post
    I'm assuming if your son is a pre-schooler that he's less than 4 years old. Even if he meets the minimum 40lbs for boostering, kids his age are not booster ready. Most kids are ready for boosters around 5 or 6 years old. If your son is younger than that he should probably be riding in a 5pt harness and not a booster, especially in the front seat even with airbags off.

For my own children, they were ready when they were 4 years old. They weighed over 40 pounds and both of them were tall, so that their shoulders were higher than the slot for the shoulder straps for the 5 point harness. So it's not so much about age as it is for the physical readiness of the children. If they can stay in the 5 point harness then do so, but for many 4 year olds that is not possible.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by zen39 View Post
    For my own children, they were ready when they were 4 years old. They weighed over 40 pounds and both of them were tall, so that their shoulders were higher than the slot for the shoulder straps for the 5 point harness. So it's not so much about age as it is for the physical readiness of the children. If they can stay in the 5 point harness then do so, but for many 4 year olds that is not possible.
    I agree. I have an almost 4 year old girl here and she is a big girl (tall and thick.) She is almost to the point where she can't be in the 5 point harness anymore. I will keep her in it for as long as possible here but I know for a fact that she's just in a booster seat in her grandparents vehicle but it is in the back seat.