Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

@admin...SPAM is driving me nuts!!

I just need to vent. This growing occurrence in spam on the forum feed is driving me bloody crazy. Most of the time I ignore it but I hate that it bumps threads off the feed so we don't get responses. I find that it is making the site a place I don't want to come to as often. It is almost daily it seems if not at least multiple times a week that these bloody threads overpower the site. I understand that blocking these members is near impossible as each time they are posting with a new IP address and user name but is there no way these threads can be deleted as soon as they come up. I cant tell you how many times I have reported inappropriate threads to admin with zero response and they don't get deleted. There has to be a better way of handling this. Can't an admin log on each morning and do a clean sweep of all the nonsense, I'd even volunteer to do it myself to make this a better experience for all. Its bad enough when multiple real members take up the feed with separate threads for the same topic but that is not something done on purpose I am sure, but surely you can see the frustration when members log on and post asking for advice and no one ever gets to see it because its been bumped off the screen by SPAM.

Please tell me there is something that can be done about this.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I agree bright sparks!

Here here

Expansive...
    I catch as much of it as I can. If you report it gets sent to my email and I can delete it and ban the spammer. Sometimes I miss a thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I catch as much of it as I can. If you report it gets sent to my email and I can delete it and ban the spammer. Sometimes I miss a thread.
    Thanks for your response but I am sick and tired of this nonsense, something needs to be done to PREVENT this when it is to the extent of things now. How about a 24 hour clearance period to have someone look at a member who is trying to register so their IP address can be checked out and somehow verify if in fact this is a daycare provider or a real person. This is not minor anymore and I am furious...can you tell? How do I get in touch with the people in charge? After all mamaof4, I understand you are just a moderator and really don't have any control or say over the website and how it is run.

Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    Most other boards I've been on have a set period of time that a new user's posts are moderated, and it works well to weed out the spammers.
    If you look though, the spammers aren't posting ongoing. They post one or two at the same time and then that's the last you see of them. Obviously they re-register to post the next lot of crap on our forum with a different name and I imagine if they are using different IP addresses then it makes it very difficult to block them. That being said, I am just about done with the site now as a result. Activity is already substantially less in the last 6 months or so since a lot of long time members up and left due to drama, so the last thing I want is for the little activity that is left to be tainted by this nonsense which is popping up multiple times and daily.

Outgoing
    I admit the spamming has discouraged me from coming on as much as I used to as well!

Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    Which is why moderating works so well. Their messages aren't posted unless a moderator clears them, so they're blocked/ banned the first time they try to post spam and no one else on the board ever sees it
    Sorry major brain fart....thats exactly what I was trying to say in a previous post. That is what needs to happen. Its the only way we can get things under control.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    I admit the spamming has discouraged me from coming on as much as I used to as well!
    Same here. It's really super annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    Same here. It's really super annoying.
    And this thread just got bumped by spam...someone who posted a few hours ago too...so thanks ADMIN for doing your job of deleting and blocking them!!!!!