I will be graduating with an ECE diploma in Ontario in December, and I have been seriously considering opening my own private home day care in Toronto.

As to background, I have two Canadian degrees in art and design (I'm a mature student (I'm 33 years old), single, no children of my own). I have previous experience working with children, adults, and families with learning disabilities. I also have a specialized interest in alternative communication (i.e. ASL, art therapy, etc.). I would love to be a resource consultant, but cannot afford the education to gain qualifications.

I have two questions:

A. I am considering the viability/possibility of opening a day care in an apartment (high rise). Is this possible/legal in Ontario - particularly Toronto?

B. What are the pros/cons of starting a day care privately, vs licensed home day care?

C. Are there any associations/peer networks for private home day cares, employment pools (by which to find partners, etc?).

**Of note: I would like to start a private day care that specializes in caring for children with communication/learning disabilities (i.e. dyslexia, general LD's, etc).

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly welcomed.

JF