Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Pros/Cons of Private Home Day Care vs Licensed Care

I will be graduating with an ECE diploma in Ontario in December, and I have been seriously considering opening my own private home day care in Toronto.

As to background, I have two Canadian degrees in art and design (I'm a mature student (I'm 33 years old), single, no children of my own). I have previous experience working with children, adults, and families with learning disabilities. I also have a specialized interest in alternative communication (i.e. ASL, art therapy, etc.). I would love to be a resource consultant, but cannot afford the education to gain qualifications.

I have two questions:

A. I am considering the viability/possibility of opening a day care in an apartment (high rise). Is this possible/legal in Ontario - particularly Toronto?

B. What are the pros/cons of starting a day care privately, vs licensed home day care?

C. Are there any associations/peer networks for private home day cares, employment pools (by which to find partners, etc?).

**Of note: I would like to start a private day care that specializes in caring for children with communication/learning disabilities (i.e. dyslexia, general LD's, etc).

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly welcomed.

JF

Euphoric !
    Yes you can operate a daycare in an apartment. Some families may be turned off as you do not have green space easily accessible

The big advantage to private is you get to keep all your money. Downside would be you need to find all your clients. I am private though and have never had a real problem finding people.

Peer networks- here and Ottawa (can't remember the name at the moment)

Re: your specific focus- this will really limit you and as a sole provider makes it difficult to offer good care to multiple children with special needs. Also, the number of kids diagnosed with LD's etc prior to starting school is also far far fewer.