Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Client changing schedule-Advice pls

I have a client who has (in a rather blunt email) "told me" they want to drop their child's care by one day a week for financial reasons. Would this be cause to write up a new contract? I love this little child, but the family can drive me nuts with a lack of respect towards my time. drop off and pick up are all over the place (frequently late- I have vented about them before...) Anyway, I want to toughen up my late fee penalty because of them. Truly, as much as I love this little one I am on the verge of terming anyway because of the lack of respect to my time. However; I need the income too. I constantly have an add up anyway because you never know what will come your way . I guess I really just want to know- can I renew my contract with them due to a change in care? I wish I could term the client and keep the child.... *sigh*....

Shy
    You can and should do a new contract. In response to the email, attach the new contract and tell them it will need to be signed and returned before the next day of care.

With that, change and hilight your late pick up policy and have them initial that they have read and understood it. Next time they're late do a warning letter.

Make sure all clients get a copy of the revised late fee tomorrow.

Euphoric !
    How many days do they come now? I wouldn't take a drop in your pay just because they can only afford 1 day of care.

For myself I only charge full-time. I have had part-time before but it was for a minimum of 3 days a week. If they want to come one day of those three then so be it but I still charge for the 3 days. I don't worry too much about the drop off/pick up times as long as they are within my hours of work and do not disturb nap. If a child isn't here when we do art or eat snack then they miss out. I carry on with my day whether they are here or not. I do appreciate it though when parents give me a heads up if they are dropping/picking up at different times. I only have 1 family currently who is not consistent. As for picking up late - that is a huge NO NO. I charge a late fee and have no issue charging it. I do also have in my contract that consistent late pickups may result in termination. I would likely speak to a family about it before I got to the point of termination.

Euphoric !
    I have a rate for 2 days or 3 days but my full time rate applies to 4-5 days because it is almost impossible to find a client that only needs 1 day a week. I would be telling them that they will need to drop down to 3 days a week to get a cheaper rate and then make them stick to those days. Ideally you could find someone to fill the other two days.

Euphoric !
    From reading it sounds like they want to go from 5 days per week to 4 (not go down to 1 day per week).

I think you can either:

Term

Tell them "no," it is a full time spot and you both start looking for something new

Send them the new contract with your part time rate which is higher then the full time rate (mine is $5 more per day)

Personally, with all the issues you are having with them I would tell them the spot is a full time spot and aggressively look to fill the spot. I think there can be a problem always having your ad up as people see it and wonder why you always have a spot? Or since they have seen it many times they may assume they contacted you but haven't.

Euphoric !
    Sorry I guess I misread it. Yes it sounds like they are wanting to drop one day not go down to one day. I would tell them that full-time is full-time and they are paying for the spot not for the amount of days they are there. So even if they don't send their child for the day they are still charged for it.

If they need to save money they need to look at their other bills and how they can cut down on their expenses (cell phone, cable, eating out etc). Things like daycare should not be at the top of their list for something to cut back on.

Stand your ground, don't take a cut in pay just because THEY want to cut down on their expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    From reading it sounds like they want to go from 5 days per week to 4 (not go down to 1 day per week).

I think you can either:

Term

Tell them "no," it is a full time spot and you both start looking for something new

Send them the new contract with your part time rate which is higher then the full time rate (mine is $5 more per day)

Personally, with all the issues you are having with them I would tell them the spot is a full time spot and aggressively look to fill the spot. I think there can be a problem always having your ad up as people see it and wonder why you always have a spot? Or since they have seen it many times they may assume they contacted you but haven't.
    Yes that is my understanding too. They just want to reduce a day not go down to one day. If this was a family that I had no issues with and I could financially handle the loss then I would accommodate them but that's because right now in my area there is a huge slump in enquiries so I would hate to loose a full spot for the sake of doing a family a favour by dropping one day. That being said, it sounds like this family wouldn't be missed so its up to you to just figure out what works best for you. If you send an amended contract for them, highlight the policies in bold but also verbally communicate that there will be zero tolerance for these policies being broken moving forward and make it very clear to them the consequences. The thing is that you have to follow through and enforce them otherwise they are going to carry on abusing these rules.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you all for the advise! I noticed that I didn't explain that they are currently at 3 days per week and going down to two. So my part time rate is the same for them. I have amended my late fee and resent my contract with amendment in late fee. I also state that my clock is set to The Weather Network and therefore there should be no argument about time. But yes, I do think I want to get another Full timer. Would help the pocket book for sure!

Euphoric !
    Since the are only part time now and cutting it down even more then for sure it is time to replace them.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't allow them to go from 3 to 2 days. I would tell them your minimum for part-time is 3 days - take it or leave it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: