Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Termination from mom after two weeks

Hi everyone I hope somebody can give me an opinion about my situation.

In March a family came by my daycare asking for a spot for June, they looked ok to me so agreed to wait for three months so I decided to give the spot to her, June came by she asked me that she wanted to start his 15 months son slowly I said its fine for me, so he came half a day and mom seem fine, she kept on thanking me for all the help I was giving his son for the transition, but I noticed strange things like after she dropped the child and I closed the door she waited behind the house for 7 min listening to our daycare and I was like ok! Anyway she asked at nap time do I put him to sleep or I hold me to sleep when I have four more other children to look after, she was bringing her own food and she always called on the phone after 7 min when she was in her car I was helping his son because he was screaming crying so loud because her mom left I couldn't answer her call and she left me a message just to tell me I need to mix the noodle with the chicken excuse I have so much experience she made feel like stupid she was making me upset. On Friday at pick up time she confronted me and said do you have a minute I said fine she said I will need to terminate daycare and it's being only two weeks her son was adapting to a new environment she said her aunt got laid off and that she decided she was going to pay her so she can help her I was in my head all my work is down the drain, my vacations are coming next month so she probably don't want to pay but I always subtract 200.00 from the monthly fee. I explained at the beginning of the 200.00 less and she said that is not a problem she even called me when am I taking my vacations so she can take it with me so much work into it for nothing just lost of my time when I talked to her I said because she was terminating even in my agreement she put long term anyway I said the deposit becomes non refundable she agreed so I don't have an issue with that what bothers me is that I won't get paid for next month some people are not serious in daycare she needs a nanny not a daycare provider she want it to boss me around, we have feelings we are professionals they treat us without respect and they don't like to follow the rules of daycare and they find any excuse to get out! I had and have wonderful families right now I am blessed for that but people like this makes me feel bad! And I don't want to take it personal but still hurts What do you think? Help!

Expansive...
    It's annoying, yes, and an unfortunate aspect of this profession that clients can just up and leave. Experienced or not though, I think the Mom's questions were reasonable (wouldn't you want to know how your child is put to sleep?) and as a new Mom I might be tempted to listen if my baby was still crying after I closed the door behind me. In fact, when my son started preschool I DID wait out in the hallway to see how long he was upset for after I left. I only did that a couple times, but it made me feel better to hear the staff loving on him.
    In the future, I would not allow food to be brought in from home if it bothers you. It also makes the day go more seamless if everybody is just eating the same thing.
    It does sound like the dcm was following your policies, and was very agreeable with forfeiting the deposit with no fight. And just like sometimes we need to make changes in our lives for what is best for our families, it sounds like she made this call here as well. So, while it all sucks, it just needs to be chalked up to a "blah" part of this job. Hopefully, the turn around is that you get your ad up and a dream family comes along to fill that space! I do understand your frustration though, it's so hard not to take things like this personally!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry this happened to you littlefish, I find it important to have new Moms join us for playdates with their babies at playgroups, the park, the library, so she can see how I am with my daycare children. The Moms need to feel secure with our abilities so they can go to work and do their job. I have great communication and rapport with my daycare families so they respect and trust me.

That being said, I've had a couple of flaky Moms who pulled their babies out of care after a few weeks because they would not relax. It happens now and then, but if they won't work WITH me to help their child transition into daycare easily for the sake of their child, the other children and for me, then they can go. That's ok. Yes, we have some times in our profession when we have to rebudget when things like this happen. But you always have to be prepared for surprises.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    thank you Lou and momof4 for your input it has helped me a lot, it made re think the meal from home I'll keep that in mind for next time, yes it's very unfortunate but I have to brush it off and keep up with my small business, It'll take me time to find another family specially now a days, I'm probably looking until September but I'll need to wait for right family to come along.
    once again thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littlefish For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    The right family will come along! Hopefully sooner than later!!