Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Legal Disclosure

Hi

A bit of a long post. I have been a nanny for 18yrs and then opened a home daycare for the last 5. My background was as a Child and Youth worker(briefly) before I took my first nanny position that paid batter.
    Previous to opening my home daycare, I took 9 months to set up our home with safety features/equipment. I registered with the CCPRN and took many seminars on everything from how to start a home daycare, tax preparation, activities etc. I felt prepared and it has been going very well.
    I have a communication book that every family gets when their child begins. It includes the daily communication sheets, a copy of my first aid/cpr certificate, a copy of our contract and a copy of mine and my husbands criminal record check. My question is this. How many of you provide criminal record checks for your spouses? My husband got a DUI in 1998 that showed up on his criminal record check. Because of this we wanted to show that he is not a threat to the vulnerable sector, so we went further to get his fingerprints checked to ensure that he wasn't charged with anything else and that he was never convicted of any expunged crimes that would be a threat to the vulnerable sector. I include his extended record check for disclosure.
    Is it enough that I am providing this record check of his? Do I have to tell every interview the nature of his charge from 16yrs ago? I just lost a client for September because I didn't tell them the nature of his conviction (until they just asked)and now they say they're wondering what else i've been holding back..Do we do drugs or have a drinking problem? I didn't even know my husband when he made that one stupid mistake in his twenties and now it's come to bite me in the hiney. I am realizing that now is a good time to legally get this taken off his record.

Euphoric !
    I have never gotten a criminal record check for myself or for my husband. I have never had anyone ask either. It might have something to do though with the fact that I worked at a law firm prior to having my home daycare.

Honestly if someone is that paranoid and needs to see your husband's record check and doesn't want their child in your care for something he did that long ago then you don't want their child in your care anyways.

Euphoric !
    My fiance works in a school division so his checks are hung up in my daycare for those who want to see. He is my back up when I need to go to appointments and he works evenings so he spends a lot of time with the kids and I and I feel it's important that the parents trust him just as much as me.

I have always had my checks done at past jobs but didn't have any for my records. Parents would sometimes ask but took my word for it. I have a set of parents right now who are legal guardians and felt that it was up to them to make sure they covered all bases so they paid for me to get mine done and so now mine are hung up in the dc as well for any other parents who may care to look at it.

I don't think I would mention your husband's unless they ask but if they do ask, be honest.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    As far as I know, to legally run a home daycare of any kind any adult over the age of 18 that lives in the home needs to have a criminal record check and vulnerable sector screening.
    The CCPRN says so here:
    http://www.ccprn.com/en/information-...or-caregivers/

When I opened a year ago I found that on the Ministry of Children and Families website too. I can't find the page at the moment, but I understood that it doesn't matter if you are private or through an agency, every adult must have a valid criminal record check.

My husband and I both have them, and I've always pulled them out at interviews to show prospective clients. Most seem appreciative to have a quick glance, but I've had people on both ends of the spectrum too - people that seem taken aback that I would offer to show it to them, and people that read every single line and ask a gazillion questions about it.

The person that read it top to bottom was incredibly anal, and didn't end up going with me. I think anyone who doesn't understand your explanation is probably going to be a control freak and cause you more grief in the long run.

Euphoric !
    Not sure I would go into details about your hubby's past unless asked. The point of the criminal check is to determine that you have not done something bad to a child. To say that you have had checks done on both you and your husband to show no offences against the vulnerable sector is not lying or really not leaving anything out. What someone did many years ago does not have a bearing on the current situation and most employers would look at the same report and dismiss it as not a valid concern in the workplace.

I have issues with a family that ties so much importance to the forms since they only deal with convictions and truthfully if you can give references covering a period of years without a gap then the reality is you were not charge, jailed, gone to trial or anything so the piece of paper is just that. The references they can call to do their own confirmations are more important in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    As far as I know, to legally run a home daycare of any kind any adult over the age of 18 that lives in the home needs to have a criminal record check and vulnerable sector screening.
    The CCPRN says so here:

When I opened a year ago I found that on the Ministry of Children and Families website too. I can't find the page at the moment, but I understood that it doesn't matter if you are private or through an agency, every adult must have a valid criminal record check.

My husband and I both have them, and I've always pulled them out at interviews to show prospective clients. Most seem appreciative to have a quick glance, but I've had people on both ends of the spectrum too - people that seem taken aback that I would offer to show it to them, and people that read every single line and ask a gazillion questions about it.

The person that read it top to bottom was incredibly anal, and didn't end up going with me. I think anyone who doesn't understand your explanation is probably going to be a control freak and cause you more grief in the long run.
    I understand this as the CCPRN requirement that all persons aged 18 and older require a criminal record check to be a member of their network. There is no legal requirement under the Ontario Day Nursery Act to have a criminal record check done in order to be operating legally. It is just a requirement of this organization in order for you to be on their books but it is not a legal requirement at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Not sure I would go into details about your hubby's past unless asked. The point of the criminal check is to determine that you have not done something bad to a child. To say that you have had checks done on both you and your husband to show no offences against the vulnerable sector is not lying or really not leaving anything out. What someone did many years ago does not have a bearing on the current situation and most employers would look at the same report and dismiss it as not a valid concern in the workplace.

I have issues with a family that ties so much importance to the forms since they only deal with convictions and truthfully if you can give references covering a period of years without a gap then the reality is you were not charge, jailed, gone to trial or anything so the piece of paper is just that. The references they can call to do their own confirmations are more important in my opinion.
    I think it gives a parent piece of mind though so I can totally understand why they would want to cover all bases. That said, a criminal record form is actually only valid for the day it is printed. If a person commits a crime tomorrow, then the record on the wall isn't going to do anything for them other than give them a false sense of security. If a parent requests a police check I oblige because really why wouldn't you? If they ask to see one I explain that they can not be updated and then enquired upon by the general public so to have a valid and up to date record check, it needs to be run every single time. I give the parents the option to have it run at their expense but as it is a personal document it belongs and stays with me. I have done this a few times and parents have both been happy with this and understand the reality of a police check and how it has to be done to actually be effective.

Euphoric !
    Play felt, I understand your point and agree to an extent. Yes, the checks are only good so long as the person didn't/hasn't been caught. There are pedophiles and child abusers out there with clean checks all because they haven't been caught yet but there are also people out there with charges and providing care and because parents haven't asked, they don't even know!

In my case, this set of parents are his legal guardians not biological parents and felt they needed to cover this for their records and to prove that they are diligent in providing safe care for their child. They had been with me for a couple months before we even did all this. They already trusted me but wanted records just in case anything were to ever happen.

I actually prefer parents to ask me about it because it shows they are choosing a provider who they feel is the best/safest fit for them and not just accepting care with anyone because they need a spot.

If anyone were to want an updated copy I would the same as bright and ask them to pay for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have had one done thru a previous part time job and my husband has had his thru work as well . I have never been asked if I have one .
    I think if your asked you should def be upfront . I can imagine people will understand , and because it's in the past , and not child related , it will relieve them !!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    The CCPRN says so here:

I once had an "almost client" that I decided not to take because of the odd questioning when I met the husband.These parents wanted to keep a copy of our criminal record checks ( I was told this by my licensing officer, whom thought this was odd since their children wouldn't be attending my daycare). My hubby and I both have clear criminal records, by the way. They thought that they should be able to have copies of our criminal record check since I had private information about them. They had requested all their paperwork back but I'm legally required to keep it for 2 years.