Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Any ideas on my court case

Lbkljgliuhiluhuhilli h
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-25-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Expansive...
    I'm not sure what you are asking? Are you looking for ways to fight this without a lawyer?

IMO, you need a lawyer! That's the only way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Jvyukgukgghukguykg
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-25-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teagansmom View Post
    I have a paralegal as I can't afford a lawyer.....can barely afford the paralegal lol. I guess I'm looking for fresh ideas on how I can fight this battle about getting awareness or the governments attention.

The child and family services act states that no action can be brought against a reporter. I'm trying to see who actually enforces this act. All the agency's, ministry's just tell me to get a lawyer. Why should I be financially penalized for reporting? Maybe this is just a rant/vent as I'm extremely frustrated.
    Ever thought of going to the media? Not to be an asshat or anything but it seems that this would be a good story to raise awareness to the authorities and the general public about how there are little resources for home daycare providers and in a case where you followed the law and did your duty as a good childcare provider by reporting your concerns, it has backfired on you and there is nobody there to back you up.....I don't want to go into the many possible outcomes and stress you are going through as I am sure you are already aware of them, but I think to have this printed in black and white would result in someone sitting up and noticing, or at least I'd like to think so if you could get it in the national newspaper. Maybe even writing your story and sending it into your local MP with regards to Bill 143 and how the bill needs to not only protect a child but also the providers in situations like this. I feel for you, I really do. Could you not sit down with a lawyer and discuss the possibility of suing for expenses? You could meet for an hour and at least get some initial advice on that. Really it is ridiculous that they can even counter sue you and the judge is even entertaining this. What a huge waste of everyone's time and money and the stress caused is unbelievable. If this family had nothing to hide or be ashamed of then they would have just let it go once the enquiry by CAS had been carried out and the CAS had concluded no foul play but to drag you through the courts seems like a good indicator that they are bitter and angry because they got found out.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    What about legal aid? Also, I know that many lawyers offer a half-hour free consultation, they could at least give you their opinion on whether you need one, how much you would be looking at, etc.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    What about legal aid? Also, I know that many lawyers offer a half-hour free consultation, they could at least give you their opinion on whether you need one, how much you would be looking at, etc.
    Unfortunately legal aid does not cover costs in small claims court. Many lawyers I spoke to say they will not touch the case as it's only in small claims ( they don't make much money there) so it looks like I'm stuck paying for my paralegal.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Ever thought of going to the media? Not to be an asshat or anything but it seems that this would be a good story to raise awareness to the authorities and the general public about how there are little resources for home daycare providers and in a case where you followed the law and did your duty as a good childcare provider by reporting your concerns, it has backfired on you and there is nobody there to back you up.....I don't want to go into the many possible outcomes and stress you are going through as I am sure you are already aware of them, but I think to have this printed in black and white would result in someone sitting up and noticing, or at least I'd like to think so if you could get it in the national newspaper. Maybe even writing your story and sending it into your local MP with regards to Bill 143 and how the bill needs to not only protect a child but also the providers in situations like this. I feel for you, I really do. Could you not sit down with a lawyer and discuss the possibility of suing for expenses? You could meet for an hour and at least get some initial advice on that. Really it is ridiculous that they can even counter sue you and the judge is even entertaining this. What a huge waste of everyone's time and money and the stress caused is unbelievable. If this family had nothing to hide or be ashamed of then they would have just let it go once the enquiry by CAS had been carried out and the CAS had concluded no foul play but to drag you through the courts seems like a good indicator that they are bitter and angry because they got found out.
    I've written to a few MPP s and 2 are willing to help out after it's through the court system as they can't help when it before the courts. 1 has been in contact with the ministry of educational and all they advise is for me to retain a lawyer.

I also have written to a writer for the Toronto Sun, I'm not great with words so I'm kind of nervous about going to the media. We will see how it plays out.

Euphoric !
    Here's what you do .... Go down to the court house first thing in the am (regardless of what time your hearing is at) and go see duty council .... Tell them everything and ask them to represent you in court

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Are you in Ontario? In Toronto there is a news channel that does a consumer protection type segment, not necessarily for people who didn't get what they paid for or whatever. Maybe try contacting a program like that.

We were taken to small claims last year by the person who bought our house. Claim was for similar amount. Claimant lost and was ordered to pay our legal fees. They were maybe $800-$900. True, a lawyer won't make much from small claims court but there really isn't much work for them to do either.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    It sounds like you've covered all your bases. I just want to say, I'm sure when it gets to court, you'll be fine. You've got everything all lined up and you didn't do anything wrong. So you're organized AND the good guy in the situation, the judge must see that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post: