Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canada Day?

Starting to feel at home...

Canada Day?

So, I wondering how you ladies are dealing with the Canada Day holiday this year, as it's landing on a Tuesday.

We wanted to go away for the long weekend and almost all the parents are off the Monday and Tuesday. I sent out emails to parents asking what day(s) they are off, because I want to take the Monday as my holiday day. I have only one mom say she is off just Tuesday. So I'm wondering how to handle this as far as stat holiday pay.

How would you handle this?

Outgoing
    I'm taking both the Monday and Tuesday off. Mon is not paid while Tue is

Starting to feel at home...
    See, I was even thinking of telling her to keep her home Monday, so we can be away until Monday, and since she is off Tuesday, she can either keep her home or send her and I will be paid for Monday as the holiday.

Euphoric !
    I think you needed to organize this long ago! It's only one week away. What does your contract say for booking time offs? I give a minimum of 4 weeks notice so parents can plan accordingly. I booked my summer holidays over 2 months ago though, so they can book it off with work and not be left scrambling.

Personally I would work the Monday and have Tuesday off since you left it so late, unless you know for a fact that they can easily accommodate the last minute day off. It really doesn't help her to say keep the child home Monday and bring her Tuesday as the mother needs to be at work on Monday and is home on Tuesday.

Expansive...
    I'm taking monday unpaid and tuesday paid, so I still get a 4 day weekend.

Euphoric !
    Personally I don't think you should switch paid days off. a stat day is a stat day regardless of what day it falls on during the week. my contract states if it falls on a weekend then I take the following Friday or Monday but will provide notice. In this situation it is a Tuesday so to give myself an additional long weekend I have booked the Monday off as an unpaid day (but told all families in February).
    Last edited by mickyc; 06-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the others, this should have been planned awhile ago. I have in my contract that I'll give at least 2 weeks notice but I've never given less than 4 weeks notice.

I am taking Monday off unpaid and off Tuesday but paid my stat fee. I considered switching it and being open on Tuesday but than realized this wouldn't make sense because parents are off the Tuesday, not the Monday, unless they prearranged this. I also wanted to stay at the lake for the Canada Day celebrations.

Are the other kids staying home on Monday and you will only have this child? If so, I would ask the mom if she can find alternate care for the 2 days and not charge her either day for the inconvenience. If she can't find care than I would open on the Monday for her because it is due to your late planning. Just my opinion.

Euphoric !
    I booked the Monday as a personal day and the Tuesday is a stat .... But I did this months ago