Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

The Good, the bad and the ugly!

I am strongly considering starting a home daycare but I want to hear about your personal experiences and whether or not you recommend it. I am also interested in hearing your horror stories (like the ones everyone wants to share with you when you're pregnant and you don't want to hear them!) Well this time, I want to hear them!!! I recently created a profile and my first response was from Mr. Beebs (a total scammer I have since learned from a thread on this forum!) so it was not the most positive start to this potential journey. I welcome your stories and recommendations, tips, etc. Please feel free to send me a private message if you so desire. Thanks so much in advance!

Starting to feel at home...
    Ok, here goes. These are some of my good and bad experiences.

- I find that dealing with the parents are the most frustrating part of this job. Sometimes I think that they think that we do this just for the fun of it and not to support our families.
    You will have parents that totally disregard any of your policies, not respect your own time with YOUR family, pay late, etc. And having to chase them or confront them about something is the worst.

- That being said, some parents will treasure you and will tell you anytime they can, how much they are thankful that you are there to take care of their precious child. And some parents know that you go out of your way for them, so they show their appreciation in different ways.

- Cuddling a sweet baby or sitting with a bunch of toddlers on the couch reading a fascinating story are definitely good parts! Knowing that you are a huge part of their young lives is very rewarding. But as in every job, it has to come to an end, so when the children that you've had since the were infants are leaving, it is HEARTBREAKING!

- Some advice as well....don't let this business take over your family life. I found in the beginning that I needed to let parents know that showing up late for no good reason wasn't going to be put up with. And when I needed time off with my family, to just take it. Don't feel guilty about taking extra time for yourself or your family.

I hope this helps a bit!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Transition periods royally suck. Usually the first 1-2 weeks are just LONG. But once they kids are settled it is smooth sailing for hte most part. I only offer full-time care which helps cut down the number of children that need to be transitioned into care.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Agree with what everyone else has mentioned, especially the put your family first and not to feel guilty about time needed off (still working on that one!).
    My primary goal of leaving my career and opening a Home Daycare was to have the ability to stay home with our last child until he went off to school. I was soooo grateful when he started school this year (there's honesty for you. My own child (whom I love more than life itself!), was my biggest challenge in my daycare day....your own children know exactly what buttons to push, you have guilt, jealousy issues, etc. Now evenings are so precious now...Mommy is so glad to see him and not handing him off to Daddy exhausted from him all day
    Also wanted to add....plan out your budget...you will have added costs; groceries, of course, insurance (I would make a call to your insurance company ahead of time for a quote) higher electricity costs.
    And...you will miss the daily interaction with adults
    And...if you are planning any major purchases do it now as banks are reluctant to lend to those new to their own business.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for your replies. I think some of my concerns were addressed. The issue of having my 2 year old son home with me does potentially present some challenges and I appreciate your honesty. My other biggest concern is the lack of adult interaction and feeling confined to my house. As much as I love my house, as a current stay at home mom, we are very rarely ever at home! I like to be out and about. We go to the gym (where they have very affordable child care!) We go for daily walks, trips to the playground, lake, etc. I know I could still take my children for daily walks and trips to the playground, but it would be a lot more challenging with 3 or more! I'm not sure driving anywhere would be an option unless I bought a van that could accommodate everyone. I know word of mouth advertising is the best, but I'm just wondering how many of you have found new families from this site? As thankful as I am to have found this site, my recent experience with Mr. Beebs (a scammer) has left me feeling uneasy about posting so much personal information about myself on the internet. I have 2 new questions. What sort of additional insurance is required and is the ratio in Ontario 5 children including your own or excluding your own. As always, I welcome your feedback.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri Okoye View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I think some of my concerns were addressed. The issue of having my 2 year old son home with me does potentially present some challenges and I appreciate your honesty. My other biggest concern is the lack of adult interaction and feeling confined to my house. As much as I love my house, as a current stay at home mom, we are very rarely ever at home! I like to be out and about. We go to the gym (where they have very affordable child care!) We go for daily walks, trips to the playground, lake, etc. I know I could still take my children for daily walks and trips to the playground, but it would be a lot more challenging with 3 or more! I'm not sure driving anywhere would be an option unless I bought a van that could accommodate everyone. I know word of mouth advertising is the best, but I'm just wondering how many of you have found new families from this site? As thankful as I am to have found this site, my recent experience with Mr. Beebs (a scammer) has left me feeling uneasy about posting so much personal information about myself on the internet. I have 2 new questions. What sort of additional insurance is required and is the ratio in Ontario 5 children including your own or excluding your own. As always, I welcome your feedback.
    You get used to having several children pretty fast, I have 7 kids that I take out for walks and to the playground everyday. There is no reason why you have to stay home everyday. I also find I am used to being without the adult interaction, though I always look forward to my husband coming home at the end of the day.

I don't know if it because I live in Manitoba, but I have never been contacted by Mr Beebs or any other type of scam. Don't let that scare you off, you just make sure to make an inperson meeting with anyone interested in your daycare and if they don't want to do that then you don't waste your time with them! I also make sure to have my meetings after daycare hours when my husband is home - better safe than sorry!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post: