Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Going from licensed day home to private day home

Hey Ladies!
    So I'm pregnant and I am leaning towards leaving my agency and going private as I cannot keep all of my existing clients due to age to child ratios limitations. If I go private I can still keep my families as this way my own children do not count and I still fall under the Day Care Nursery Act. On Tuesday (after my 1st appointment) I am sending home a letter informing the families of my pregnancy, giving them my action plan, and purposing to them the idea of moving private and asking for their feedback. I really enjoy all of my families so if they all say they don't want me to go private then I will stay with the agency and will have to decide who to terminate. However, I have a feeling that they will all agree to follow me to private because I have cared for them all for quite some time and also they will be saving money as I will be lowering their fees as it only seems fair.

What my questions for you are:
    1) Have any of you gone from an agency to private?
    2) What type of things do you recommend me to do in order to prepare to go private?
    3) How much is a reasonable time for me to make the transition? (I was thinking of doing it in August)
    4) What are must have's in my contract? (deposit, 2 wk notice for time off, notice for termination and visa versa, sick policy, behaviour management, fee schedule - anything else?)
    5) Any other things I should do to cover my bases?

I'm working on a contract, getting equipment replaced that the agency provided, gonna change all my advertisements when the decision is 100%, already spoke with the agency and confirmed that there is no clause preventing me from keeping my existing clients.

Am I missing anything?
    TIA

Ps. I really enjoy the agency I work for but I truly can't afford to give up a full time space. My overall decision will be based on what's best for me and my family obviously but I still want to include all of my day home families in this decision as we have always been really open with each other. I'm nervous because this business always feel like a game of chess because in all reality you never really know what people think or will do. Here's hoping it goes smooth

Euphoric !
    What you are missing is that as part of the contract you signed with the agency as well as the parents signed there is usually a clause in there that says you can not take on the family privately for a minimum of 6 months from the time you leave the agency. At the same time I doubt the agency has ever taken a family to court for leaving and doing their own thing.

Starting to feel at home...
    no. I actually double checked with them and they said there is nothing holding the families back from coming with me if I choose to leave the agency. So we are clear in that aspect. I did send the families out the newsletter yesterday letting them know that I was pregnant, what my plans were, and asking for their thoughts about going private and all of my families were thrilled for me and all of them came back today and said that they will stay with me if I leave the agency. YAHOO!!! What a relief!!

Now the hard part. Getting the contract written up and figuring out all of the logistics that the agency took care of for me. Truthfully, it wasn't that much just the logistics but in truth I'm a bit of a pushover so I'm a bit nervous to be stepping out from under their protection of making sure the parents obey the contract and payment. *fingers crossed*

Euphoric !
    When I left the agency I was with I went through the information I had gotten from them and used that as the basis of my first contract. If you google daycare contracts you will find websites where providers have their information online. Compare and pick the best ideas and then work them into your own draft making it be what you need it to be. At the same time your contract and forms will change over time and evolve just as you will. The childcare association I belong to has a starter kit on their website you can download and it gives you some things to consider. www.ccprn.com

Euphoric !
    I don't have direct experience in this so perhaps other can give better advice but my first thought is to write up the contract ASAP (not rushed and sloppy though) and have the families sign soon. That way, should any of them decide they are not happy with your terms you are not stuck interviewing to fill a space when notably pregnant. If some decide to leave it might be better they go now so you can fill the space and transition the children before being majorly pregnant or having a newborn with you!

I'd assume your contract won't differ greatly from the agencies so it shouldn't be a problem...but still worth doing now rather than at the very end of your pregnancy!

Euphoric !
    If your current families are all supportive of leaving the agency you could ask them which rules the agency had did you find the hardest or mot annoying to follow and often privately we can do things differently and be more flexible which is one of the main reasons parents go private over agency is so that they themselves are not bound by the arbitrary rules of the agency.