Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar

Oh WHY did I say YES!!?

My 2 weeks holidays are coming up later next week (thank the LORD!). Going away with hubby for a few days then hanging around home for the remainder of the time. Anyways, a few weeks ago, one set of dcp asked if I would be willing to take their boy for 3 days during the last few days of my holidays as she's having a baby (c-section) and would like the time to recover. I was put on the spot and agreed to do it, but now I'm thinking that was the dumbest move ever! So my question to you all, would it be absolutely horrible of me to go back on that and say sorry, but I need my vacation? I've been having a real hard time lately emotionally and really really need the time off...for my health and happiness. I understand that she needs time to recover from a c-section, but she had the baby yesterday and she's got family and her husband there to help her and keep her little boy busy. My husband as well as many friends (including another set of dcp) think it was NUTS of them to even ask such a thing of me during my holidays.....but is it too late to go back and get my vacation back!!?? Thanks in advance, ladies.

Outgoing
    Oooh! Tricky situation! I agree, they shouldn't have asked you in the first place.

Since they only arranged it a few weeks ago, I'd say you'd be ok to ask for it back. They'll probably be upset, but it's not like they arranged it months ago. If you can, maybe try to find someone who could do backup for them for a few days? I've seen providers post ads on kijiji looking for some back-up provider. It would still be up to the parent to meet up with them and see their place, but at least it would show you trying to help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

FSD

Thanks, 2cuteboys. I often say....I love having my own business, but I'm not a business lady!! Meaning, I'm just too damn nice and soft! LOL

Expansive...
    I think it was quite selfish of them to ask you in the first place. I think you definitely have every right to go back on your decision but definitely want to think things through moving forward. Be careful because parents will be quick to take advantage of you if you don't have a backbone!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

FSD

Yes, I agree. Now that I've had a few days to really think about, I too am like...how can they ask me that!!? Yes, I do need to grow a backbone!! My hubby tells me that all the time!

Euphoric !
    In the future your answer to EVERY request should be "let me think about it and get back to you in a a few days". It takes the pressure off, allows you to fully think it through and should you feel pressured you can respond by email or at least pull together your reasoning to stand your ground in person :-)

So often we, as caring caregivers, can get sucked into something that isn't best for us becaus we are trying to be too helpful. BY sayign you will think about it and respond later allows you to think about your best interests first.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    OMG! Unreal. I can't believe they asked you and I can't believe you said YES LOL.

If you don't feel comfortable saying No now then lie about it. Say something has come up and you will no longer be able to watch their son on your holidays. They don't need to know what you are doing on your holidays. They will likely be upset but too bad. They have family out right now and they can rely on them. Do it ASAP though so they have some time to make arrangements.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

FSD

LOL...I was warned that I'd get reamed out for saying yes! LOL I was thinking the same thing about making something up. I'm taking a quick look to see if there are any daycare's in the Orleans area that will do temporary care for them so I can provide them with that alternative.

Euphoric !
    Don't feel bad FSD I know how you feel being put on the spot and not sure what to do. When I first started my daycare I had a friend who ran a home daycare help me get started. The first part of advice she gave me was "People will screw you over the first chance they get, don't let them". She was right unfortunately. I have learned a lot of lessons the hard way over the past 4 years but I am putting myself and my family first, it has taken time but I think I am there!

If you have to lie about it then so be it. Don't worry about them being mad, they will get over it. Don't worry about finding them alternative care either, that is their responsibility not yours! Enjoy your holidays guilt free too!! You will be a better provider because of it. I have 5 days in a row coming up and I cannot wait!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much, mickyc! I've been open for a 1 1/2 years now and this is the first time that a parent have taken advantage of me, and I'm going to make sure it doesn't happen again (fingers crossed)!! I'm going to call them tonight, congratulate them on the new baby, then break the news. My family, and my sanity, HAS to come first! Just wish I recognized that before. Oh, the lessons we learn.....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post: