Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gender division

Euphoric !

Gender division

I currently have 5 full-time kids including my own. My group is all very close in age right now with the oldest being 19months. I am looking to add one more child for August/September (unlicensed so can have 5 +my own).

Almost ALL families that contact me have girls. I currently have 3 girls and 2 boys. I feel like another boy would be ideal...balance it out and then if a family with a oy leaves at some point I still have 2, rather than 1 boy and 4 girls.

For those that have been open longer, does the gender make a huge difference in the day to day running of your group? Is it unwise to have more girls long term?

Should I hold off until some boys start coming for interviews? I could always take another girl now then hold out for a boy if a family leaves and I have a spot to fill.

Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    I would never turn a family away based on gender. That being said I do prefer girls way more than boys!

If the child is a good fit for your daycare and the parents seem good then don't let gender keep you from accepting them. It all balances itself out. I had all girls, almost all boys and half of both. Depends more on the child.

Euphoric !
    Thanks mickyc. Have you had only one boy/girl? I just worry about the potential that there will be a child that has no peers of the same gender at some point and the impacts of that, As well, I am weary of too many girls (prefer some boys to help keep the group a bit less 'catty' later on)!!

I do agree it depends on the children not just the gender...my daughter is by no means a frilly princess kind of girl!

Shy
    I have had both equal boys and girls and had times in which I had more boys or more girls but I wouldn't worry about it.... I've had lots of rough tom-boy type girls and lots of shy and introverted boys and it seems most kids under age 6 don't really care if the person playing with them are the same sex or not, just that they like playing the same things in the same manner...kwim?

Euphoric !
    yes I had 1 boy with all girls, wasn't a big deal. When they are 5 and under they don't really realize the difference between gender very much anyways. I would be more tempted to worry about age before gender.

If the family is great and the child seems good then by all means accept them into your daycare.

Euphoric !
    I have had all boys, all girls except one boy and now back to all boys except one girl. I MUCH MUCH prefer all boys! Girls tend to dramatic, catty, loud and want to be entertained more (generalization, of course there are exceptions!) My 2 groups of boys were quieter, less destructive (I know, I was surprised too!) and play well with each other and none of this "I don't want to play with you today" crap. They also are great at free play and don't need me as much to lead the play.

My one dcgirl is a tomboy so it suits her just fine that she is with all boys (she was also here when it was all girls and did great then too) and my boy that was here with all the girls did great as well...he is also now here with all the boys and he much prefers wed-fri when my girl is here lol. I think he got used to all girls and now doesn't know what to do when it's all boys on mon/tues haha.

IMO, younger kids don't really care whether their friends are male or female and they don't care if they are playing with trucks or barbies. I don't have a whole lot of gender specific toys (and the few I do, I don't call them that!!) Toys are toys and anyone can play with them. Pink is not just for girls and blue isn't just for boys.

Like Mickyc said, I wouldn't turn down a family based on gender but if I had a boy and a girl and both were a good fit....my deciding factor would be gender and it would be the boy. I hope that doesn't sound bad!!

Outgoing
    I have 4 boys and 1 girl right now and in Sept I will have all BOYS and honestly I find the boys loud and wild. They run constantly and the older ones are horrible listeners! Two of the almost 2 year old boys are biters, pushers and pinchers! Give me 5 girls anyday!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am with you jodaycare! I totally agree. I would prefer girls any day too!

Euphoric !
    I think it all depends on how they are raised. IME, the boys have been better behaved. Give me a well behaved child and I don't care what the gender is lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Do you ever have the parents of the minority child complain? For instance, I have 4 girls and 1 boy and the dad mentioned that his son was the only boy. A couple of months ago I had to let a boy go but the 2 boys didn't really get along together well anyway.