Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nagging...

Outgoing

Nagging...

I can't stand to hear myself nag anymore! I don't know how the kids can tolerate my voice. It seems that it's all I do lately. I just don't know how to let things go. I'm constantly telling them to take their fingers out of their noses (I just see germs being spread everywhere...and it's gross) reminding to say please (manners are important to me), stop running (safety)...and the list goes on. I feel that they are valid points, but how do I stop feeling like I'm constantly on their backs? It's not always like this, we just seem to be in a rut or something....

Euphoric !
    I think it is the time of year. We aren't able to get outside to run off the energy and the weather outside can be somewhat depressing. I have found myself doing more whining than the kids some days it seems too. It is like I say the same things over and over but I am the only one that hears me. I started by limiting what I am nagging about for the next month or so taking into account we are all kind of grumpy. So you mention things like manners I am more likely to acknowledge someone that uses their manners and ignore someone that doesn't where I can rather than bug them about it. For running issues we have been doing more music and action activities and also my main floor goes around in a circle so they have large trucks they push so they are allowed to go as often or as fast as they want but they can only do it with a truck - stops the running. I also just finished rearranging the layout in the playroom so there are no longer large areas to run in. It is now more like a maze but also zoned so similar type toys are in a space with the idea they can be played with only there and not taken from place to place. My goal is that they will stay focused a bit longer on wherever they are.

Starting to feel at home...
    I think it is very important to prioritize the things to address and ensure that the repetitive "nagging" is only regarding the most important issues such as safety, abiding by the rules and possibly manners. What I find myself doing when I get tired of repeating is finding a way to get the message across either with different words or gestures... often trying to distract the child from the unwanted activity rather than use "stop" or "don't". As for examples if the kids are running I will start marching and say lets walk, if the kids are picking at their noses I will say all hands up in the air and/or I will ask them if it is the thing to do. I find these simple methods not only help me from getting annoyed with myself but makes it a more positive and gentle approach than the typical stop and don't. But at the end of the day kids will be kids and repetition is key. Good luck... maybe just change your voice when you talk... try being mickey mouse for a day

Outgoing
    Thank you! That made me laugh. I've been Mickey Mouse for a day (well, 7 months)...literally!
    Long story. But thanks for the advice. The main issue is 6/6 kids with colds and snot flying everywhere and my patience running out. Hopefully it'll be over soon!

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I totally hear you on this one! what I try to do (my very best when possible! lol) is tell them what to do vs what not to do. ex remember to use a kleenex...when we are inside we walk etc. I know it doesn't seem like much but for me it really helps.
    And like the others said... during these trying time I try to let the little things go as much as I can. we can only do so much after all ! lol
    I hope next week is easier on you ,
    Have a great weekend

I agree with Sunflower. Reminder's of what's expected work well!!! I find with nose picking: I acknowledge their need, encourage them to use a tissue, and then we wash our hands. Some children pick their nose frequently out of habit. I find these children stop picking because their tired of washing their hands!!! :P

Expansive...
    This winter has been rough! I feel like someone has been sick since September!

But can you try noticing the good things? Like when you see someone using a tissue say "oh xyz! thank you for using that!" same idea for manners?

I hear you though... I feel like I could record a few phrases and realistically not have to speak for a week.

Euphoric !
    The problem is the age of children we deal with. They don't plan to forget they just forget to remember. I just walk around with bulging pockets of kleenex (here I use a roll of toilet paper in each room of the house which saves a ton of money - a few squares to wipe and toss with no waste and many brands are just as soft as kleenex or better yet just abrasive enough to actual wipe the nose off instead of just smudging it. I know too much info. Our colds have only been the last month but it has been brutal and somewhat city wide. Wait at the clinic the other morning for my daughter was already 1 1/2 hours with eveyone having the same complaint. Have had two kids on meds for ear infections and the cough of a couple more is being monitored as it is going down deeper and their energies are getting strained.

It's been brutal here too!!! What ever is going around packs a one, two, punch! I sanitize and wash hands like a mad woman to no avail! I am SO looking forward to April!!!!! BRING IN THE SUUUUN!!!!!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Haha! Not that this is going to help anyone, but my own kids and I were watching a hockey game at the local rink the other day and the kids were fooling around on a step (2 steps) that had a railing next to it while I was talking to another mom, and my daughter bumped her mouth on the railing and bit her lip. She came crying over to me and I immediatly thought of this thread as I had read it a few weeks back and said "see what happens when I dont nag you!!" I too, feel like I nag my kids and my daycare kids, all the time and the second that Im not nagging at them to be careful, dont play on the steps, your going to get hurt, etc etc..... someone gets hurt!